thirty eight

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter thirty eight

3rd person point of view
tw: suicide attempt and
sexual assault description

Aspen was situated on top of the cliff where the gang usually came around to perform chaotic jumps and threatening dives into the ocean. The sun was hiding behind the gloomy, dark clouds as it threatened to rain for the fourth time this week.

She purposely waited until sunrise to leave the house when no one else was awake. She didn't come out of her room the entire night after her fight with Beau — he didn't even come to check on her hours later after her cries grew silent and all she could do was shake aggressively under the comforter.

Charlie would occasionally knock on her door and offer some dinner or comfort if she wanted it. He didn't go to bed until around 2 am, deliberately staying up past the normal time he would go to bed in case Aspen emerged from her room and needed him.

Her face was unusually red with tear stained cheeks and her eyes slightly puffer than normal from the active crying she's managed to do over the past ten hours.

Her knees were pressed tightly against her chest, both arms secured tightly around her legs while her right hand clenched onto a piece of parchment with her handwriting written across it.Tears kept silently falling, one by one, as she stared out towards the water and watched the waves hit across the rocks at the bottom. 

"They're gone because of you."

"You chased them away just like you do with everything else."

Beau's words continued to cut her life a knife and it made her bottom lip quiver with heartbreak. She tried to wipe away the tears with her sleeve but they continued to fall with no signs of ever stopping — she was ready for it to end — all of it.

She couldn't wait any longer and decided now was the time to make her choice with no further hesitation. She came to a mental agreement that the world no longer needed her around. It would be easier for her brother — especially for her parents if they no longer had to worry about her well being.

Flashes of memories of the time she was assaulted by her mothers ex boyfriend caused her to drop her face into her arms and sob loudly. Her shoulders shook with despair, the note crumbling under her fingers by how hard she was clutching onto it.

He made her believe that he had only the best intentions for her and Beau. He was dedicated towards Renee and loved every moment he spent with her — but he loved it even better when Aspen was around.

She was a complete replica of her mother and he couldn't get enough of it. It was like a sickness he couldn't escape from and only wanted to embrace further — why not just have one when you can have both?

It would start with the most insensible touches. Rubbing her shoulders to her back — prolonging their hugs for an extended period of time — but then came the lingering touches across her legs and purposely coming into her room before bed so he could get a glimpse of her night gown.

Her skin crawled and visibly repulsed by the memory, nearly making her gag in response but she quickly choked it down before it could come up.

The sky above her growled like an animal, indicating that a powerful storm was coming. She would have to make her choice soon before patrol would come around to make sure nobody was cliff-diving during a thunderstorm.

She glanced around her swiftly for a heavy enough rock to hold down the paper on the cliff. Whoever would travel by will be forced to read her goodbye letter – passing on the sad news to her father and her brother.