ten

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter ten

Part of me regrets showing up to La Push after getting stood up but my brother insisted that we go just to get out of the house. I tried to warn him that it would be freezing and wet but of course he didn't trust my judgment and was now shivering with only a jacket on.

Jessica, Mike, Eric, and a few others were getting changed into their wet suits while I sat beside Angela in Tylers van. Occasionally she would hand me a twizzler to munch on while we briefly spoke about the dance.

Amanda and Sunny unfortunately didn't come to the beach, Amanda was most concerned about the student book fair and because of Sunny's three-year long crush, she wanted to help the most.

"I keep thinking Eric is going to ask me to the dance — but he just doesn't. I feel like I'm wasting my time with him."

I took a big bite off the twizzler then waved it around like it was a pointing stick. "Men suck." Angela nodded quickly beside me. "But hey, if you want to go to the dance with him this badly — why not ask him to go? Take control, you're an independent woman and if he declines then he's an idiot."

Angela looked at me now like I was some angel that got sent down by God. She quickly grabbed my face and kissed my cheek quickly with a small squeal. I didn't let her see my look of disgust when I turned over to my brother as he was standing next to the van silently counting backwards.

"Next time you should just listen to me."

"Can I have your hat?"

I narrowed my eyes on him quickly. "No."

"Beau! Aspen!"

We both looked behind our crowd of friends and saw Julie running up with two boys trailing behind her. I greeted her with a soft smile as she nudged my brother's arm with her elbow. "What brings you guys to my side of the rez?"

"Surfing?" Beau tucked his chin into his jacket but nodded towards the others as they continued to prepare for the ocean.

Julie laughed softly. "And are you surfing too?"

It was a direct question towards my brother but I quickly shook my head for him, gesturing my hand back and forth across my neck like the thought alone was crazy. By brother was the last person on earth to ever do anything considered a sport.

"Definitely not," he defended with a laugh.

"You guys remember Sam and Embry, right?" Julie shifted to the side and allowed the boys to step closer to the group.

I quickly perked up when I figured out it had been Embry lingering behind Julie quietly. When we both made clear eye contact, my face practically swelled up with a bright smile. "Hey! I haven't seen you in so long."

Embry had the softest smile that I could remember. It was probably the kindest smile anyone could ever have — any time we hung out together, people would brag about how much he radiated sunlight.

But back then we were just kids — we didn't know anything back then and we were ignorant to our surroundings. Whenever my parents would argue I would come find Embry — he was my escape.

I decided to stand up now and Beau quickly took my place with Julie plopping down beside him. I shuffled towards Embry while trying to keep myself warm. "How are you? How are your parents?"

"They're doing good — I'm good," he smiled happily while stuffing his hands deep into his coat pockets. "And how are you doing? Charlie? Julie said Beau is finally here too — looks like your whole life is finally coming back together."