forty one

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter forty

3rd person point of view

The three members of the Cullen family follow behind the servants of the Volturi with Jane leading the way ahead. Aspen was clinging onto Edwards side — he pulled her closer to him as he forced a reassuring smile in her direction but visibly was tensed as ever.

Two large doors were pushed open by Jane. The headquarters for the Volturi now revealed — it was much similar to the painting Aspen saw at the Cullens house. Only a few things were different from the portrait but the marbled floors remained the same with the beautiful domed ceiling above them.

Three large black thrones occupied the center of the room — two of them already claimed by members of the Volturi and the one in the center empty as Aro was already standing at the front.

Jane's brother Alec stood close by to the center stage where the oldest Volturi sat. A smile tugged at the corner of Alec's lips. "Sister, sent you out to get one and you bring back two — and a half. Such a clever girl."

Jane advanced past Aro silently and stood beside her brother, now tucking her arms behind her. Aro turns to the group — visibly excited to see the Cullens like he was reuniting with a few old friends — even seeing Aspen was alive caused his smile to grow brighter.

"What a happy surprise!" He gracefully clasped his hands together and tilted his head at the group in delight. "Aspen is alive after all. Isn't that wonderful?" Caius responded with a sour expression but Marcus could care less. "I love a happy ending."

Aro moved towards Edward and Aspen, his crimson stare noticing Edwards firm grip on Aspen's hand but ignoring it for the time being. Edward was forced to release Aspen's hand and allowed Aro to cradle it — his grin never dropping from his face.

"La Tua Cantante." Aro sighed. "Her blood appeals to you so much..." He shifted his gaze on Aspen's as he visibly flexed his throat like he hadn't drank something in weeks or months. "How can you stand to be so close to her?"

"It's not without difficulty." Edward responded. Every memory and thought was stripped naked from his mind and revealed to Aro. He tried to cover half of it as much as it could — but flashes of Aspen being able to block Edward out and forcefully shove him away had Aro more interested in the couple.

"Yes," he agreed, laughter in between his words. "I can see that." He turned his focus back on Edwards hand, making Edward feel obligated to explain Aro's powers to Aspen. "Aro can read every thought I ever had with one touch."

Edward turned his attention back to Aro's and cautiously pulled his hand away with a bit of strength. "And now you know everything. So, get on with it."

Aro chuckled heartily. "You're quite a soul reader yourself, Edward." His smirk slowly began to falter as he shifted his stance to be directed towards Aspen. "And yet — you can't read Aspens' thoughts. They come and go in quick vantages — only what she allows you to see. Fascinating."

He then took a few paces back, folding his hands together again with a gentle smile resting on his face. "I would love to see if you are an exception to my gifts as well. Would you do me the honor?"

Aspen silently watched the older vampire outstretched his hand in her direction. Her chin tilted upwards and forced herself to meet Edwards careful gaze, silently asking for confirmation if she should answer his request.

Edward gave a very brief nod — easily missed by the others but he didn't remove his protective stare from Aspen as she slowly shuffled towards Aro with her own hand now extended.