thirty three

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter thirty three

I called Embry probably twenty times or more the next for days — weeks. We haven't spoken since the movies and he wasn't around any time I went to visit Julie Black with my brother.

Beau seemed happier and lighter these days. A bit more carefree and I was beginning to grow jealous over it. The only person that managed to distract me and help me feel normal again was Embry — but now he was no longer in contact with me and it started to feel like maybe my theory was right.

Nothing good ever lasts long and the ones that grow on me the most will end up disappearing over time.

My desperation was at its peak now as I was sitting at the dinning room table, a cup of coffee that I managed to make over twenty minutes ago now gone cold.

The phone rang and rang until I got his voicemail again. Usually I would call and then hang up before I had to leave a message — but the past few phone calls I was feeling desperate and a little bit ticked off.

If anything I would've preferred that he told me to fuck off rather than leave me in the dark like this.

The line clicked after the auto woman spoke, requesting that I leave a message and the person will call back soon. I pressed my palm against my forehead in embarrassment but swallowed down that thick lump in my throat to muster up some pathetic courage to speak.

"Hey, Em. It's me again — Aspen. I'm sure your mailbox is getting full now but I was hoping I would get an answer sooner or later." I heard the floorboard creek behind me and I quickly glanced over my shoulder as my father made an appearance. "Please — uhm, call me." I hung up the phone then placed it on the dining table.

Harry Clearwater appeared behind Charlie, both of them carrying fishing lines and gear for their trip. "Harry and I will be back by three," my dad mentioned while placing his things on his table before shrugging on a thick jacket.

All I could do was nod my head in response then glance out the window right beside me. I felt Charlie place his hand on the back of my head, giving me a small rub before the gesture disappeared as quickly as it came. "It's mono, Pen."

"He's too sick to even call?" I questioned bitterly.

"You just gotta wait it out," he then shrugged and picked up his gear again before pausing. "You know, I don't have to go fishing — "

"Yes you do." Harry chimed in from the side.

I smiled and gave them both a curt nod. "Yeah, you really do. It's fine. I'll call Sunny or Amanda — or someone."

Charlie finally agreed and I glanced up at him, just in time to catch his protective stare that he usually made during my trying times. At this point it should become a national holiday.

"Good. But stay here or at the girls house. No hikes or anything. We're issuing a warning about those bears."

Charlie may end up killing me before any of these 'bears' did but after mentioning the woods, it was like a wave of memories crashed into me like a tsunami. I sat at the table contemplating for a good ten minutes, even after my dad and Harry had already left, if I should take a chance to revisit an old spot.