Twelve.

✧.* CHAPTER TWELVE.

GISELLE felt a strange sense of panic when she woke the next morning. It was something that caused her to shake to matter how calm she tried to be. Due to this ongoing panic, the red haired woman found herself waking up much earlier than she usually would have.

Sitting up in a cold sweat, Giselle panted, attempting to catch her breath as the words of Rumplestiltskin echoed through her mind. As she ran a shaky hand through her hair, she turned to the right of her — expecting to see Killian Jones — Yet he wasn't there. Odd.

With a confused — and slightly panicked — hum, Giselle kicked the cover off her body to stand on the cold, hard wood floor. It wasn't only Killian missing. His sword was gone and so were his clothes. Quickly, she changed back into her normal outfit, running outside to see if Killian had awoke early with some of the crew yet... he was nowhere to be seen.

"Uh, excuse me?" Giselle called, worry in her voice. One of the crew members looked up at her, confused by her early morning.

"Yes, ma'am? How can I help?" He questioned, pausing from mopping the floor.

"Have... have you seen Killian?" She asked. "He isn't inside and, to be honest, I have a strange feeling... I always trust my gut. Especially in this place."

"Ah, I'm sorry, ma'am, he left a few moments before you awoke. I.. I heard him talking about a duel at dawn. I believe it was... near the tavern, if that helps at all."

"It does, thank you." Giselle nodded, giving the man a kind smile before bidding a goodbye. Her boots clicked on the floor as she sped up her pace. It was still quite dark, the sun barely having risen by that point. It gave Giselle goosebumps as she travelled the empty alleyways.

"—let's begin." A voice echoed causing Giselle to freeze and jump back behind the corner.

"There's no need." Killian's voice echoed. The red head peaked around the corner, spotting not only Killian but a familiar man... the very man who had threatened her the night before. The pirate reached for his sword only for it to vanish.

"Sorry." Rumplestiltskin "apologised" as he appeared behind the man. "But killing a man with his own sword was just too delicious to pass up."

Giselle watched, her heart heart hammering in her chest as Killian picked up the sword Rumple had thrown earlier. He held it in his hand, the other man giggling slightly as he raised Killian's sword. The pirate let out a yell, swinging at the strange man in front of him only to be blocked.

Clanging echoed as the swords collided over and over. "Ships that pass in the night. Well, at least one ship." Rumplestiltskin smirked, having appeared behind the pirate to avoid one of his attacks. Giselle watched, having deep worry for the pirate she loved as he was shoved into a line of barrels but that didn't stop him.

Giselle could feel the sun slowly start to hit the back of her head but never once did she look away. But her eyes grew wide. Rumplestiltskin had trapped Killian's sword beneath his feet and all fell silent. Giselle gripped the wall, the stone rubbing against her skin as she watched with pure fear.

"Go on." Killian spoke. "I'm ready for the sword."

Rumplestiltskin placed the sword beneath Killian's chin but just as Giselle was about to scream out his name, a hand gripped her shoulder, spinning her around so her back slammed against the all. She let out a grunt. "What the hell are you doing?!" A voice almost yelled. Milah.

Giselle didn't respond. The woman only shoved away from the wall, looking around the corner once more. Milah followed. But there was something in Milah's eyes. Yes, there was panic but... there was also a hint of something. Almost as if she knew this was going to happen to Killian.

Giselle let out a loud gasp, a hand covering her mouth as Rumplestiltskin's hand dug straight into Killian's chest. "Stop!" Milah's voice shouted, having appeared right beside the fight before Giselle could even run over.

"Milah?" Rumplestiltskin questioned, confused as he looked at the woman. Giselle ran, standing behind Milah with terror written in her eyes as they locked with Killian's pain filled ones. The man removed his hand, allowing the pirate to drop to the ground.

Giselle, taking slight advantage of Rumplestiltskin's distraction, rushed right toward Killian, placing his head on her knee. "Killian, you stupid man!" She scolded.

"Giselle, you have to run." Killian groaned, gripping her hand tightly.

"No! I would never leave you, especially not like this!" She looked down at him before Rumplestiltskin turned to them.

"Oh, how sweet." Rumplestiltskin's voice went high for a moment — obviously mocking. "It appeared there's more to this tale than I know. Tell it to me, people!"

"Please, don't hurt him! I can explain!" Milah shouted.

"Tick-tock, dearie! Tick-tock!" He warned.

"That first night, when Killian and his crew came into the tavern, he told stories about the places he'd been. And I fell in love with him... yet he couldn't love me back." Milah couldn't help but glare at the distracted red head, who placed her hand on Killian's cheek. "I didn't mean for it to turn out this way! I didn't know how to tell you the truth. I'm sorry."

"And so here we are." Rumplestiltskin waved his hand. "You've come to save the life of your true love, the pirate, who loves little miss princess over here. I didn't realise the power of true love before. Is it impressive. I'd hate to break it up. Actually, no. I'd love to."

Just as Rumple went to raise his sword once more, ready to stab it into Killian — Giselle trying to pull the pirate away without hurting him herself — Milah shouted. "Wait! I have something you want."

"Well, I find that very difficult to believe." Rumplestiltskin's full attention was on the other woman now, who had pulled out a red hat. He grew curious. "Where did you get that?"

"You know who I took it from. I may not know what the Dark One wants with a magic bean. But I have it." Milah confessed, staring down the Dark One in front of her. Giselle wanted to look up, but her eyes continued to stay glued to the man who gripped her right hand tightly as he closed his eyes with agony.

"I feel a proposal coming on." Rumple muttered.

"The magic bean in exchange for our lives." Milah proposed. The Dark one slowly walked forward. "Deal?

"I want to see it first." He whispered to her.

———————