Does A Caged Bird Sing? | Prologue

Bryan's POV

Every day since the incident felt like another day where I was free yet I wasn't at the same time.

Today reminded me of that as I heard someone banging on my dorm door, I was lucky to have a multiple room dorm, so I was hiding behind my door with my dog.

I guess I should probably explain what got me here though.

It all started a few years ago after my first year of college.

My friends suggested I get a job during the summer to have more money to spend since my parents only covered my tuition, so I decided to take up babysitting.

I was checking each door carefully, making sure the number on the door matched the one I was texted from the person who asked me to watch his kids.

From what I was told, I was going to watch his triplets no older than eight months, plus a puppy they recently got, but  I was told the pup wouldn't be much of an issue cause of what they had set up.

Finally, I found the door and knocked a few times.

I heard the sound of a dog barking followed by a child crying before the door was opened.

Standing there was a tall man, seemingly in his early to mid 20s, with jackal features and he was holding one of the crying babies.

He was totally my type and I couldn't help but blush upon seeing him.

"You're Bryan, right?"

"Yeah, I take it you're Inpu?"

"Correct, you're at the right place, please, come in"

"So I know you said you had night shifts, how about their other parent if you don't mind me asking?"

"Out of the picture, abandoned us when they were three months old"

"Oh, so its a pretty recent thing for them?"

"Yeah, I pay no mind to it, I expected it, anyways, the kids are fine for most of the night, I suggest keeping them away from the kitchen since our pup doesn't get along with them, they all are fed around six, if needed, diapers are in the bathroom"

"Alright, is there anything special I should know about the puppy?"

"She is kept in the kitchen cause like I said earlier, she doesn't get along with the triplets, her food is kept in a bag labeled dog food, we have a space for her set up on the balcony so you don't need to walk her, and once the triplets are asleep, feel free to let her out"

"Anything else you think I should know? I think I've got everything, but I want to double check"

"Nothing else I can think of, well nothing other than the one in red is Atlas, pink is Femi, and purple is Lotus, if needed I know you have my number, and I don't think it'll be needed, but there is a talisman upstairs"

"Talisman?"

"Don't worry about it, you'll know if you need to use it, I need to get going for work, I should be home around maybe ten ish, midnight at the latest"

"Works for me, I don't have any plans tomorrow anyways"

Inpu finished calming down Femi before putting her down on the play may with the other two before he walked out of the apartment.

As soon as the door closed, it was almost like all hell broke loose cause I heard the babies start to cry and the puppy began to bark again.

I quickly tried to get him calmed down, but before I knew it, it was already six.