Chapter 22

" aight man I'll think about it." I sighed opening the fridge to take a look.

" ma where's the orange juice at." I yelled towards the stairs. Then I remembered she was probably off to work already.

"orange juice? Dude are you listening to me?" The voice boomed from the phone.

I shook my head. " I wasn't talking to you."

" look you can borrow em this one time, but don't scuff them alright." I warned.

" hallelujah!" I heard him shout. " don't worry bro, the shoes will be in good hands."

" yeah whatever, catch you later ant." I said finally noticing the orange juice behind the grapes.

" wait." He added.

" uh huh." I groaned pouring my self some juice.

" can I borrow your blue shirt with the stri-"

" bye Anthony" I said hanging up.

I shook my head and gulped down the juice feeling refreshed.

" jay baby you call me?"

I turned around to see my mom still dressed in her pajamas.

I shook my head. "Forget it, uh no work today."

She tightened the tie on her robe and came around the counter towards the coffee maker.

"No, I've got a day off since my boss is out of town today."

" but its just for today, then I'm back to work tomorrow." She added, sighing heavily.

I looked at her intently as she stirred the cream in to the coffee cup. I admired my moms kinda work ethic so much cause she works so hard at these ungodly hours each and everyday just so we can get by. So I mean I understand sometimes why it's hard for her to come watch me hoop but regardless she definitely deserves this day off.

I slid next to her and threw my arm over her shoulders. " that's great mom, I'll be leaving soon so you'll get all the peace and quiet you need"

She smiled. " hmm going out with another girl hijo"

I playfully rolled my eyes. " ma why every time I go out you think it's with a girl."

she looked up at me. "well isn't it Jacob, weren't you telling me about this josylyn girl you've been hanging out with."

" ma it's jasmine." I said stealing a bite of her croissant which she just pulled out the container.

she quickly snagged it from me and gave me a blank stare, but then brightened once again.

She could never stay mad at her baby boy.

"Oh sí jasmine how is she?" She said like she'd just found out about her having a midlife crisis or something.

I shrugged and walked towards the counter stool. "fine ma."

" just fine, I thought things were fantastic." She questioned.

I ruffled my hair and licked my lips. "
were kinda just a little off track right now."