Chapter 13

Dimitri's point of view

I was nervous, I mean it's not every day you ask someone to marry you. I can't wait until I can call Roza my wife. I was holding my great-great grandmother's ring in my fingers. I was going to ask Rose the question right after dinner, and all my family was expecting the news more than anyone.

I saw Abe come through the house door, but no Rose. I thought it was nothing at first but then 5 minutes past and then 7. "Where is Rose?" I asked Abe while placing the ring in the box it came in. "She is in the restroom changing and making herself prettier. She said for no one to bother her, that's why she entered thought the back," Abe said while taking a drink from his whiskey. I respected Rose's wishes and waited 10 more minutes. Then the guardian outside came back into the house. He was whispering something to Abe, and I could see anger generating it Abe's face. I went to the kitchen to find Oksana that hade been coking since we got to the house.

"Dimitri has Rose gotten here already?" Oksana said with mixing the dish that was cooking over the stove. "I thought she came through the back door, didn't you see her come in?" I said while looking out the window, the sun was now completely gone. "Are you sure. I have been in the kitchen since you got here and the door has always been closed," Oksana said and I started to panic. Rose never entered the house.

I went to find Abe outside and he was getting mad at the guardian. "You idiot, my daughter is missing and you are telling me you left her alone. She was kidnapped and now I have to call all my contacts!!!" Abe said and my heart stop. "Where is Rose?" I asked and Abe turned not realizing I had heard all the conversation. "How long have you been there?" Abe asked taking his hands off the guardian's coat. "Long enough, where is Rose?" I asked once again coming closer to the guardian. "Why wasn't Rose with you?" I turning towards Abe. "She went back to your house to get your present and this idiot over here didn't get down with her. He said that Rose didn't have keys for the front but did for the door at the back of the house," Abe said while shaking the guardian once again.

The story didn't add up Rose never received keys to the house let alone the keys that hade been missing since I was 12. Also if she would have been kidnapped she would have at least give a fight against her kidnapper, and I asked the guardian if he had found anything out of order but he said no. Rose wasn't taken she left on her own. "Give me the keys of the car, Rose wasn't taken she left," I said while reaching for the keys. "I will come with you," Abe said while opening the passenger's seat. "No stay here, call your contacts to look for her in train stations and airports," I said while turning on the truck and left north.

Rose can't be farther than 10 miles and she knows better than to go west where there are mountains where strigoi hide. Once I got to the house I went to the back of the house and found a trail of footprints that went into the woods I entered back into the car and into a moody trail.It started to become more difficult to see, but after a while, I found a woman's figure in the shadows. I parked the car and the figure turned around and started running once again. "Rose stop" I screamed while running after her. "Dimitri I am sorry that I have to leave this way, but I was born a dhampir and they always come first," Rose said while coming closer. "What do you mean?" I asked not understanding why she was acting this way.

"Don't you see, I have to leave, and this may be the last time we see each other so please don't try to stop me," Rose said while stopping in front of me. "Rose why are you leaving?" I said while picking her face up. "Dimitri Robert has Lissa. I am the only one that can save her, please understand that you can't help" she said while tears were running down her face. "Roza please I can go with you, I can call more guardians we can save Lissa. I won't let you go, Rose, I can't lose you" I said and Rose stroked my check. She gave me a passionate kiss and then said "comrade I love you, and I am so sorry" then she stabbed me with a needle, and the world went black.