Chapter Seventy-Six

Kubos shook his head and sighed. My eyes widened.

"You love him? I'm sorry, that just makes no sense whatsoever."

_____

My stomach felt like it physically dropped three feet downwards. My eyes widened. My heart skipped a beat. 

I had no clue what to do. Kubos had discovered the private extent of Kylo Ren's and my own relationship. He could tell someone, anyone, and I could get killed. Kylo Ren would certainly figure out what his new apprentice discovered in no time at all; I couldn't help but to wonder if I would get in trouble with Kylo Ren for allowing this to happen. 

I thought of all the danger Kubos' discovery brought onto Kylo Ren and myself. He could blackmail us, use our secrets to gain more power, or completely destroy us if we struck a single bad note with him. 

I felt incredibly threatened. My safety, and Kylo Ren's, now was settled in this almost-stranger's hand. I didn't know Kubos, and he didn't know me. I certainly didn't trust him; I'm not so sure where his trust in me lay, but I was almost too scared to find out. 

I was on the brink of banishment, torture, or execution. My fate was entirely up to Kubos, who I had known for, what -- a week?

I stared at him, barely able to comprehend what was happening. My mind was whirling crazily. 

"What are you," I struggled to speak, took a deep breath, and tried again, "What are you going to do to us?" 

Kubos' grin only widened. 

"I'm not going to do anything unless you give me a reason to. How untrustworthy do you think I am? I'm actually slightly offended that you think I'm on such a level of disloyalty." Kubos paused. His words only caused me to feel more threatened, and he continued, "Well, okay. I promise I won't do anything to you if you agree to a few . . . Conditions."

I was then curious, and, if possible, even more panicked. 

I raised an eyebrow. I was willing to go through with anything if it kept Kylo Ren and myself safe. "What is it?" I questioned suspiciously. I had no clue what he wanted. I had no clue how Kubos' mind worked or what his motives were. 

I guess I'm about to find out just those things, I thought worriedly as he opened his mouth to propose his 'deal'. 

"All I ask is for you to be my acquaintance. Maybe, if I get lucky, you can be my friend." 

I pulled my head backwards an inch in surprise and raised my eyebrows. I held back several judgmental comments and merely blurted, "What?" 

Kubos shrugged. 

"What do you mean?" I asked skeptically. I was sure that his strange demand had some hidden meaning. 

Kubos sighed, and then explained. "I just want a friend. I know this is The First Order, and I get the gist of how things run here. I saw, in your mind, how hard it was for you in the beginning when you had no one to help you. Yeah, I know that I have Kespia, but she's my younger sister. I would rather be her older brother and her protector than have her be the only one I can get advice from, or confide my secrets to." 

I scrutinized him with a monotonous expression and considered his proposal. I still felt very uneasy about the entire situation. As my mind worked, I predicted that he would go behind my back or something as treacherous as that. 

"I'm not trying to pull anything on you, Nira." Kubos spoke, as if he were reading my thoughts. I squinted at him skeptically -- perhaps he was reading my thoughts.