Chapter Ninety-Nine

(Nira's point of view.)

I was so angry. 

I stormed out of the control room following the private conference Kylo Ren forced me through. Throughout the entire 'meeting', he had degraded our entire relationship. If it was only us two in the conference room then why did he have to make things so utterly professional? He acted as if we didn't even know each other, and that's probably what angered me most. 

Then he had gone back to the beginning of our relationship when we weren't in love and he had had zero boundaries on what he did to me. He had had the audacity to use the Force to get into my mind and read my thoughts! I'd thought that we -- as a couple -- were past those immature moves, but apparently not. 

I am not excited at all about my new position. I don't know what the position is going to be yet, but I know that I won't like it. I'm going to make it obvious to Kylo Ren that I don't like it and that I'm unhappy with him. However, I think I'll act neutral while at my new job because I know I'll be slightly intimidated by everyone there. 

I was mostly afraid of failure. Bad things could happen to me if I wasn't good at my new job and, as a result, there was no need for me at The First Order. I could get kicked out of the base and would have nowhere to go and no idea how to find a place for myself to live. I would most likely die lonely. Kylo Ren would doubtfully be able to save me -- saving me from expulsion from the base would most likely mean giving away the details of our private relationship, rendering both of us sneaky, lying criminals. 

But Kylo Ren refused to understand that and was still forcing a new position on me. 

Just a few days following our two-person conference, Kylo Ren got the new position confirmed in a conference with government officials. He returned to me and gave me the dreaded news. 

I was waiting in my cell when he informed me of my new life, bored because I had nothing to occupy my time (a.k.a my old job as a Squadron Leader). 

He walked into my cell. I looked up at him. He was masked, with all of his usual armor on. He walked in front of me and said, "Nira, you're going to be a Control Room Assistant. That's a low-level position and eventually you'll work your way up in the ranks through promotions and such. You'll be working in the base's major control room. You start today after dinner." 

I nodded glumly and laid down in my bed. I heard Kylo Ren leave the room, rolled over on my bed, and shut my eyes. I knew he would get me when it was time to go to dinner, so I allowed myself to fall asleep. 

*****

"Nira, dinner is starting now." 

My eyelids were glued shut. I forced them open, which was a difficult feat considering I'd just been awoken.

I forced myself to sit up tiredly and squinted in the direction of the metallic, altered voice. As I'd been sure of, Kylo Ren had come to get my before dinner. "Get dressed and we can walk down together." He suggested. I wasn't sure if that was the best idea, considering we were trying to keep our relationship a complete secret, but I guess I didn't feel like arguing with him. 

In minutes I was adorning my usual, black, intimidating ensemble, and I was struggling to keep up with Kylo Ren as he strode down the many halls of the base. We reached the Dining Hall in no time, entered, and made our way to the elevated table. I took my usual seat across from Hux, next to Kylo Ren, and diagonal to Fruvis and Rulara. 

"Hello, Nira." Fruvis greeted in a friendly matter. I nodded and smiled gently in her direction, and did the same for Rulara. Kylo Ren stood up and walked away to go get his food.