Chapter Ninety-Three

(Author's Note: This chapter is in Nira's point of view. I know it hasn't changed in a few chapters, but I just figured I'd tell you guys which point of view it is every chapter just so there's no confusion. Happy reading!)

I planted my palms on the ground, ignored the flaring pain in my fingertips, and heaved myself onto the dirt. I kicked my legs out of the hole. Kespia flew through the hole and landed hard on the ground as well, followed by Kubos, and then --

Kylo Ren's helmet had just popped out of the ground when everything blew up.

And then everything was black.

_____

My eyes opened, and then closed. I heard someone scream my name and immediately recognized the voice. It was the same voice that sang me to sleep when I was younger, that ordered me around on the busiest days of the year, that shouted at me when I made reckless decisions, and that parented me for the first several years of my life. 

My eyes opened again and I frantically searched to try and find the source of my mother's voice. 

'She's dead . . .' I distantly thought, because I couldn't believe that I was hearing her, but no -- her voice sounded so real. 

"Mom?" I called out wildly. I then took in my surroundings. It was dark and night. I was sitting on a patch of dirt in the middle of a large field and was surrounded by wooden huts, dashing villagers, and pursuing stormtroopers. 

I was on Tunstead. 

I immediately scrambled to my feet, realizing what was about to occur. My mom was going to die. I was going to be taken away from the only way of life I'd ever known and the only people I'd ever met. 

I looked to my left, and to my right. 

"Nira!" She screeched again urgently. This time I could locate where her voice was coming from. I whipped around to see the murderous stormtrooper gripping her bicep tightly, a blaster pointed to her head. Her body was half-strewn on the ground and half in the air, held up by the stormtrooper. Her beautiful eyes that I hadn't seen in so long made direct contact with mine. 

She was desperate and afraid. I could tell that just from making eye contact. I also knew that she was relying on me to save her. I was her last hope. 

Subconsciously, I discerned that no stormtrooper was holding me back this time. No stormtrooper had a bruising grip on my upper arm. Nothing was stopping me from helping my mother. 

I lifted my foot off the ground -- except that it wouldn't. I attempted to yank my foot upwards, but it was as if I was glued to the ground beneath me. My heart was beating, my breaths were quickening, and I was in hysterics. I looked down at my feet. I could see my knees moving upwards, but my foot refused to lift off of the dirt beneath it. 

The few seconds I had to stop the shooting were running out quickly. 

I urged my feet to break away from the ground. I looked up at my mother to make sure she was still alive. As soon as we made eye contact, the loud, interrupting, haunting sound of a blaster releasing it's ammunition reached my ears.

Again, I watched my mother fall to the ground. Again, the obnoxious sound of the weapon that ended her life rang in my ears and refused to leave my mind. 

Again, I was at fault for my mother's death. 

*

Bright lights blinded my eyes. I was panting and there was an odd brew of sweat and tears dripping down my face, into my ears, and down my neck.