Chapter 14

With everyone's weapons back in place, we entered the house behind an agent who directed us to the living room where Mrs Wheeler was waiting. I could tell that she'd been crying as her eyes were puffy and red, but she offered us a small smile as we approached.

"Special Agent Gibbs, NCIS," said Gibbs, not bothering to introduce the rest of us. "I'm sorry for your loss."

In a soft, controlled voice she replied, "Thank you, Agent Gibbs. Please sit down. Would you like some coffee?"

Flames danced in the fireplace that I was leaning against and soft lamplight bathed the room. Gibbs was sat on the sofa with Mrs Wheeler, McGee and Ziva got comfortable chairs and Tony was standing between the chairs. The armed man who had started it all stayed in the room with us, standing next to the doors.

Ten minutes later, it was obvious Gibbs was getting frustrated. We weren't getting anywhere on the case. Was it a case? Mrs Wheeler claimed her husband had been posted for DC for around four years, but she didn't know where in the Pentagon he worked or what he did, other than normal military things. He had never spoken about his work. In fact, he had never mentioned his work in all the years they had been married. She might as well have said, "I accepted it and never questioned it."

They didn't socialise much with anyone outside their circle of friends and rarely attended any of the official dinners or events they were invited to. They preferred not to be typical Washington movers and shakers. She wasn't aware of any enemies and couldn't imagine anyone wanting to hurt her husband or their family.

As for his death, he'd not been feeling very well, mostly just extremely tired, and came home after lunch only to reach for a bottle of juice and collapse. The neighbour's son, home on leave, performed CPR with Mrs Wheeler's help. Paramedics had arrived in a speedy time and had done their best, but the General was pronounced dead at the hospital. The deceased never got the chance to eat or drink anything when he got home so no food and drink samples were necessary. It would probably be a good idea to check his car, but not yet.

"Mrs Wheeler, you might not know what your husband's job was about, but you have to know it was very important for the Secretary of Defence, the Chairman of Joint Chiefs and the White House Chief of Staff to make a condolence call tonight," I said.

I could've sworn she looked embarrassed but she didn't say anything.

Tony then jumped in, "Seriously? You have no clue why the White House Chief of Staff would visit you?"

I stared at him, amazed at how forward he was being to Mrs Wheeler. So were McGee and Ziva, it seemed.

Mrs Wheeler didn't seem offended as she turned to look at him, "I've never met him before tonight."

Tony grinned but McGee narrowed his eyes, "But you have met the others?"

She nodded, like hosting SecDef and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs was the most normal thing in the world.

Ziva had obviously decided if we could get away with these questions, so could she, "What about that man you hugged so
affectionately?"

Mrs Wheeler blushed and looked down at her lap. Definitely some history there. She seemed to take a cleansing breath before speaking, almost in a whisper, "He saved Kyle's life in Kuwait."

Gibbs resumed the questioning, "Will you tell us his name, Mrs Wheeler?"

She didn't reply fast enough for Tony's liking. He stepped around McGee's chair and stood right in front of the coffee table, "What exactly is your relationship with the mysterious male visitor?"

From the door came a rebellious reply. "You have no right to insinuate that my mother is having a romantic relationship with General Westfall."

All of us apart from Mrs Wheeler turned our heads to where the voice came from.

McGee couldn't seem to help himself and squeaked, in a manly way of course, the most obvious question, "Your mother?"

Mrs Wheeler reached out her hand and said, "It's okay, PJ," as he joined her on the sofa, sitting in the armrest.

The defensive young man looked from McGee to Ziva and up at Tony then over to me before settling his gaze on Gibbs, who was sitting on the other side of his mum. Two daughters and two sons.

In a reassuring voice, Gibbs asked, "Is General Westfall a family friend?"

Tony backed away from the coffee table.

Mrs Wheeler kept a hold of her son's hand and answered simply, "Yes."

Gibbs must have looked sceptical as the son jumped in, "I have known him my whole life. He's my godfather."

"Four children. Which one are you?" Gibbs asked.

"Parker. Parker John, named after the man who saved my dad's life."

"I'm sorry about your father," Gibbs said and Parker looked sad for a moment, before regaining his composure so Gibbs asked, "Why are you armed? In your folk's house?"

"I had only been here for a few minutes when they arrived."

Tony obviously didn't like him so he asked, "You got a permit for concealed carry?"

Parker nodded, "I'm ATF." He removed his holster and set it down on the table, "It's a habit," he explained and shrugged.

"Do you know anything about your dad's job at the Pentagon?" asked Gibbs.

Parker looked thoughtful before admitting, "Not a lot, but I know it was important."

"Important enough to get those four men here so soon," Gibbs watched the mother and son intently.

The mum had been quiet, clutching her son's hand, and stayed quiet, but she looked a little uncomfortable. Perhaps she wasn't used to the added attention. Her son, looking pensive, responded to Gibbs immediately.

"Dad's always been well-liked and respected," his arm went around his mother, his hand on her shoulder in a comforting way, then he added, "Dad either couldn't or wouldn't tell us anything about what he knew or what he did."

Gibbs nodded in understanding, "Where are your siblings?"

Parker smiled sadly, "Denise is in Colorado and Lucy is in Kansas. They'll be here tomorrow."

Gibbs seemed distracted when Parker said, "My wife is upstairs." He must have noticed a ring or something.

"And your brother?" Gibbs pressed.

"Iraq." Mrs Wheeler reached for her son's other hand, the one on her shoulder.

A few minutes later, Parker saw us to the door. The SS agent departed at the same time leaving me wondering why he didn't leave at the same time as the VIPs. It was just another question to add to the growing list we would probably tackle tomorrow.