Chapter 22

The next day, Gibbs took me down to the basement. He had decided he was going to show me how to do woodwork.

"So this is where the famous boat lives," I stared in wonder at the boat that had been named after his daughter, Kelly.

Gibbs walked over to the desk and signalled for me to come over. He took out a few small bits of wood and handed me a pencil.

"Name an animal," he said, looking for another pencil.

"Er... An owl," I said.

"Then I shall help you make an owl," he gave me a small smile.

He helped me draw out the outlines first then showed me how to use all the tools.

It didn't take long for me to cut myself but, because he had so much faith in me, Gibbs had a plaster ready.

He helped me cut the bits of wood and immediately stopped me if he thought I might injure myself.

After a couple of hours of work and tutorials, the owl was finished and it looked surprisingly good for a first attempt.

We went upstairs and Gibbs started making coffee.

"Thank you," I said as he handed me a mug.

"I only helped you make a wooden animal," he shrugged.

"No..." I looked at him, "I never thought I would get to have a father again but... Thank you, Gibbs. Thank you so much."

He gave me a small smile then took a sip of coffee. I realised as I said that that I must remind him of Kelly a lot and it was probably painful for him to think of me as a daughter with the ache of the loss of his real daughter still there, but I knew how I felt.

"You should get to bed. You've got school tomorrow and I get the feeling you will not be left alone the whole day," he told me as I took the last swig of coffee.

"Sure," I stood up, "Goodnight, Gibbs."

"Goodnight Molly," he smiled as I went through to my bedroom.

I was tied to a chair with my parents on either side of me. My dad gave me a look of pure fear and I realised how bad this really was. My dad was never scared of anything.

One of the men advanced on my mum and held a gun to her head.

"First, I shall kill your wife. Then I will kill you and you can die knowing I will put your daughter through the most unimaginable pain before I kill her," he said to my dad.

"NO!" my dad yelled as a shot rang out.

My mums blood covered my face and my eyes widened in fear. There was a hollow feeling inside me as reality sunk in, though I tried to tell myself it couldn't have happened. I must have been having a nightmare. My mum couldn't possibly be dead. Definitely not like this.

I started sobbing hysterically as the man moved over to my father. He raised the gun to his head and let out a mirthless laugh.

"There's no escape now," he told my dad, "Just think about how you couldn't save your daughter. You left her defenceless and know that she will die alone and in pain. Now you know what it feels like!"

He pulled the trigger and my dad gave me one last look, tears running down his face, before he slumped in his chair.

"NO!" I screamed, tears spilling down my face as I stared at my dad's dead body.

"Now, it's your turn," he advanced on me, pulling out a knife and I stared at it in fear.

"NO!"