Chapter 18

We got a call from Abby early the next morning telling us to go to a diner and meet with her and Gibbs. I had packed my suitcase for the next day and I was getting myself prepared for the funeral. This case really wasn't helping me.

We walked into the diner and Gibbs told us he had been locked out of NCIS by Vance with no explanation.

"Are we locked out too, boss?" I asked.

"I don't know," he admitted.

We sat silently for a few minutes. I sipped the hot chocolate I had ordered before we all jumped and I just about spilt it all down me. Our phones were all beeping, at exactly the same time.

We reached for our phones and read the message.

0840 Pentagon room 9999

A meeting at the Pentagon? That means we were probably locked out too. It was going to be about the case and whatever it was about couldn't be good.

"Boss?" asked McGee.

Gibbs turned to him. "Yeah, McGee?"

"Are we gonna be fired?" he asked with a shaky voice.

"I don't think so, McGee," he looked at all of us in turn, "But if it happens, you have to know I'll look out for you. All of you."

Gibbs started to stand up.

"We don't know for sure what this is about," he said calmly.

"Sure we do. It's about a cover-up," I said.

"They want to silence us," Ziva agreed.

"Military guys are a sub-human species. Everyone knows that," Tony piped up.

I raised my eyebrows as Ziva looked between Tony and Gibbs.

"Uh, boss, you know I didn't mean Marines," Tony quickly added.

"I need to go, but I'll be there for the meeting at eight forty," Gibbs started heading for the door, "Abby, I need to speak with you first."

Abby followed him out of the diner leaving the rest of us sat there silently. McGee was still worrying about his job, Ziva and Tony were pondering, but I was more worried about tomorrow than all of this.

The four of us and Abby headed to the Pentagon at the time we were meant to. Gibbs came striding towards us.

"Hey, Gibbs!" Abby called.

"What happened?" I asked, the question we all wanted the answer to.

"We'll talk after yours," Gibbs said simply.

"Miss Molly Lees, please come in," a woman was poking her head out the door.

I gave Gibbs a panicked look and he stood up with me.

"C'mon, Molly, I'll go with you," he said, leading me towards the room.

The woman looked like she'd refuse at first, but then nodded and swung the door wide open.

"What's going on, Gibbs?" I asked.

"Now we wait. You wanna sit down?" he replied.

"No, I want to leave," I responded as the door opened.

Four people came into the room. They sat down and we sat down at the same time.

"Special Agent Gibbs, you have no standing in this meeting," one man said.

"I understand, Mr Secretary," Gibbs replied. That must be SecDef.

"Miss Lees, do you understand he is only allowed to stay as a silent witness and not to defend you?" he asked me and I nodded.