Chapter 15

The next day, Tony seemed rather irritated when I left for school. I supposed he had plans last night that had to be postponed because we were working late.

I must admit, I was grouchy too. I had stayed up until around three to finish my homework and I got up at half five to get ready for school. Dougie and Kirsty were waiting for me at the gates.

"Late night?" Kirsty asked.

"Do I look that bad? Big case when we were about to leave... I had to go to Arlington to interview the wife of the deceased who may not have even been murdered..." I yawned.

"Does your boss not realise you have school?" asked Dougie, walking towards the main entrance.

"I think he forgets how old I am sometimes!" I replied.

"Yes, and you seem to think we'll forget too!" Dougie said grinning.

"We checked when your birthday is on Facebook!" Kirsty was also grinning.

"Oh Jesus..." I groaned.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" they yelled in unison.

The few people who were in the quad at that point turned to stare at us. I turned back to Dougie and Kirsty and they were both holding presents.

"Guys! You shouldn't have!" I said, looking shocked.

"It's not much!" Kirsty said, handing me the presents.

"Thank you so much!" I said, fist bumping them both.

"Would you like to come round to mine after school?" Dougie asked us both as I was opening the presents.

"I'd have loved to come but there is no chance Gibbs'll let me off. It's a massive case! Maybe tomorrow or something?" I asked and he nodded.

"Sure! No bother!" Dougie smiled at me.

They had both given me t-shirts. One was Wolverine's claws ripping through the shirt and the other was a top with a Minion as the Tenth Doctor.

"Thank you so much! They're brilliant!" I said, grinning widely.

"No problem! We'd better get to class! See you later!" Dougie yelled, running the opposite direction whilst dragging Kirsty with him.

No one else wished me a happy birthday that day but I wasn't sad or anything. To be honest, I was relieved. I hate it when people sing 'Happy Birthday'. Am I being a killjoy?

Tony appeared to run me to the headquarters.

When I got into the room they went over all of the information they had gathered.

"Kyle and Elizabeth Wheeler. Married thirty-four years. He worked in the Marine Corp while she stayed at home and watched over the kids. When the kids were in school, she worked in the Sears credit department and sold Avon. In addition to standard military life insurance, there were two additional life insurance policies totalling $750,000. They were original policies from when the children were very young. Beneficiary - wife," McGee was saying as I put my bag under my desk and turned on my computer.

"Four children. Denise, a nurse, married to Tyler Phelps, teacher. Two children, Aaron and Mia. Live in Littleton, Colorado. Lucy, lifeguard, married to Jim Evans, works for Cessna. One child, Michael. Live in Wichita, Kansas. Andrew, Marine corps captain, married to Claudia, psychologist. One child, Kathy. Live in Alexandria, Virginia with wife's parents. Parker, ATF Special Agent, married to Laura, chef. Twins due in two months. Live in Washinton, DC." Tony continued.

I walked towards the rest of the team and stood next to them, looking at the plasma.

"We managed to get confirmation that Wheeler held positions all the way from Lt. Colonel to Major General. Commendations are vague but it's obvious that he has been on several classified missions. We still have no idea who he reported back to because it all goes back to the Air Force. General John Westfall hasn't turned up much either. Even less, to be honest," McGee sighed.