Prologue: Twinkling Part 1

Goodbye

I took a moment to exhale, though I didn't really need to. It was one of the things that you get used to as a vampire. Another thing that you come to get used to is the burning at the back of your throat. The thirst. It never really goes away, just becomes bearable. To be honest, until someone mentions it, I never really notice it. In fact, I was accustomed to being around humans without losing control. My father, for all intents and purposes, Carlisle thinks it's because I came into my new life knowing what to expect. My new life. Looking at my husband, Edward, I liked the sound of it.

I whipped my head around when I heard the soft whisper of my name. "Dad." Charlie had come to see us off. We were leaving Forks today and traveling to Hanover, New Hampshire. Carlisle didn't see a problem with me attending Dartmouth when I was supposed to years ago, two to be exact. But I was hesitant in taking my daughter away from the only human relative she had, so we postponed leaving. I suspected that Carlisle or his money persuaded Dartmouth in holding our spots at the school for two years. But no matter how, it was time to leave. Even with the Hollywood special effects makeup that Alice applied each morning, Carlisle was far from passing the age he was supposed to be.

I was brought back from my thoughts as I felt Charlie's arm pull me towards him. I inhaled his scent and I couldn't help but chuckle at how close we'd gotten when I moved here four years ago. I was going to miss him. "Do you have to go kid?" His big brown eyes looked at me longing and knowing. Charlie knew enough that we were different from others, and enough to keep him from being killed.

"Yeah, dad. We do." I hugged my dad tighter. I really didn't want to. I could hear my daughter running down the porch. She probably just realized that her grandfather was here.

My beautiful daughter, Renesmee bounded down the steps, her chocolate curls flowing behind her bobbing head. I quickly broke the embrace with Charlie in time for her to leap into his arms. "Pop Pop!" I heard her say as I retraced her steps back up the porch to join Edward and Jacob. The three of us were in awe of the little girl who was only two years old, but looked as if she was six. Trading Charlie's hug for Edward's was a good trade. He kissed me on the cheek as we watched Charlie spend these last few moments with his granddaughter. Emmett and Jasper started boarding up the house since everyone was out. I could see from Jasper's face that he was eager to get to New Hampshire. Alice went ahead with Carlisle and Esme since she was helping Esme with the decorating of the new houses that we would be staying at. I suspected she also wanted the extra time to stock up everyone's closet with new clothes. I glanced back through the foyer of the house and saw the sheets covering the furniture. The wind was catching the one sheet that covered Edward's piano, and I longed to hear the lullaby that Edward composed for me.

"Sorry Bella." Jasper said as he closed and padlocked the door. Yeah he missed Alice. Jasper started down the steps, with Emmett and Rosalie following and headed over to Charlie. Edward and I reluctantly, at least on my behalf, tagged along. Charlie carefully transferred Renesmee to Edward's arms so we could say our final goodbyes.

"Don't worry dad, we'll be back for the wedding," I said as we finally backed away from each other. During the many months following Harry Clearwater's death, and the many times Charlie thought he "lost" me, him and Sue had grown close. I was happy he finally found someone to fill his heart besides the loss of the love he had for my mom Rene. I considered Sue a blessing in my father's life, and I was forever grateful for the companionship and love she shared with him. I think it made the life I'd chosen for myself a little easier for Charlie. "And I'll call home when we get settled in New Hampshire."

"Okay Bells, take care. And drive safe." I could see the tears welling up in his eyes as he turned around to get back into the patrol car he always drove. As chief of police for Forks, he drove the car everywhere, as far as he was concerned, unless he was fishing, he was never off duty.

"I love you daddy." I whispered, still loud enough for him to hear.

"I love you too, babydoll." He waved collectively to all of us as he backed out of the driveway. I walked sullenly to Edward's Volvo and climbed in the passenger seat. Renesmee was already spread out in the backseat with Jacob. Rose and Emmett were going to follow us in their vehicles, the red BMW and the Jeep. Jasper was riding with Emmett. I was glad at the very least Jake was coming with us. Jacob was my best friend, who as a werewolf, imprinted on my daughter. Imprinting simply meant that he would always be there for her, whether it was a friend, brother, protector, or more. I didn't want to think about the more part of it. But in any case he was one of the few remaining links to Forks, Washington that I was allowed. We drove through the center of town, and as we reached the city limits, I silently said goodbye to my home.