Chapter 16: Cleanup

Even though we knew that the Volturi would be arriving today, everyone was still shocked when Alice broke the news yesterday that they were arriving. I think it was because it just made everything seem more real.

As the time drew closer, everyone got into position. After school yesterday, Jasper and I spent some time in the clearing setting up for a game of baseball. The diamond was considerably larger than what we normally make it but it was just perfect for what we needed it to be for this occasion. Alice took her spot on the pitcher's mound, while me, Edward, and Jasper choose first, second, and third base respectively. Rosalie, Emmett, Renesmee, and Carlisle were going to be up to bat first. Esme always choose to be the referee in our games, she was under the impression that we cheated. The other vampires in the clearing with us: Zafrina, Kate, Eleazar, Carmen, Garrett, Tanya and Irina each divided the remaining positions of the game and choose sides. It didn't matter where they stood, we just wanted to give the impression that we were gathered for a game.

We started the game, but minded to keep the ball controlled within the field. I listened to the surrounding forest for the remaining vampires. They were hiding in the woods along with the wolves. Taylor and the pack came through for us, with the number of vampires that came into the area this time, there were a total of thirty two werewolves, all the size of horses waiting to defend us. Benjamin was using his talent of manipulating the elements in holding back the wind so the scent of the wolves or the unseen vampires could not be detected by the Volturi. Since I knew where everyone was, I was able to project my shield to fit over everyone individually. I checked the shields and made sure that nothing would be able to penetrate them.

When we switched sides, Alice was up to bat first. I watched as the plan I set in motion was being carried out, and she hit the ball so hard that it disappeared at the tree line. We each waited as we heard the ball being caught in the far off distance. I felt a sense of déjà vu as the Volturi were entering the clearing just as James, Victoria and Laurent had.

At the tree line, I could clearly see that Renata caught the ball behind Aro, as everyone were making their way into the clearing. Their précised movements were still similar to the marching of a well disciplined army. They moved so fast and were several yards away within seconds. Renata threw the ball back into our direction, but nobody made a move for it, so it fell limply to the ground.

"Ahhh the Cullen's. How I have missed my old friends, especially you Carlisle." Aro's voice still sent chills up my skin. How could someone so devious be so polite? "I see you have a gathering of sorts."

"Yes Aro." Carlisle was very cold. "The Denali family decided they wanted to come visit us for a spell and so did Zafrina. Since the town would be preoccupied with setting up for the parade today, we decided to play some baseball. I see you have a gathering of sorts as well. What would warrant such a visit from you in this manner? We have broken no rules."

Edward stood beside me and gasped. I cranked my neck to get a better view of what Edward was looking at, and gasped myself. There standing behind the guard, but before the wives, were ten great wolves, just as big as ours. That's why Alice wasn't able to accurately see the Volturi's decisions. Somehow they had acquired their own set of werewolves and were using them to shield themselves. I had to admit that that was very clever of Aro.

"Well, my dear friend, I will get to that in time. Renesmee, that is a beautiful trinket around your neck. Might I have a closer look at it?" Aro inquired. Before she could answer him, he took two steps over into her direction by first base. Edward's body stiffened and I growled and moved to Renesmee's side. I crouched instinctively in front of my daughter as Aro still carefully made his way to her. "Relax Bella. I merely noticed that she is wearing the trinket that I gave to you and Edward as your wedding gift. She truly is remarkable in immortality. Like mother like daughter." Aro raised his hand to my face and lightly touched the side of my cheek. "Edward."