Prologue: Twinkling Part 3

First Class

The crisp wind blew through the windows of Edward's car as he sped down the road towards Dartmouth. I was secretly wishing that Jasper was with us so that he could calm my nerves since technically this was my first day of college. The sun was peeking through the clouds, but it was starting to set. All of our courses were in the late evening or at night, so the sun would never be a problem for us. I still thought that this was a bad idea, but Edward kept reassuring me that we'd be ok. I relied on the breath I didn't need to try to calm me down, as Edward grabbed my hand and kissed it. "What's wrong Bella?" His voice sounded like it was singing for only me.

"Nothing, Edward. I'm fine." I turned my head to look out the window. I knew he was worried about me. I was pretty sure that he mostly worried because he couldn't read my thoughts. It was probably also because I was a terrible liar. "This is just making me a little nervous. That's all."

"Why? You've been able to handle humans before. "

"No, I'm not worried about that. This will be the first time we'll be apart for a long period of time." I put a smile on my face to reassure him, "I think I'll miss you Mr. Cullen."

"Well Mrs. Cullen, I know I'll miss you. If you want, I can switch my major." Instead of majoring in Medicine or Music, Edward decided he was going to try his hand in Business Administration.

"No, no I'll be fine. Besides I only have the one class tonight remember? It'll be okay. Don't worry." Edward at two classes tonight, so after my class, I was going to hang out in one of the libraries. I knew I'd be fine, I just hope I was right. I was somewhat surprised that we arrived at Thorton Hall already. I gave Edward a longing kiss and turned to get out of the car. "I'll see you later."

"Of course my dear." Edward gave me a crooked smile, and drove off as soon as I closed the door. I found my classroom right away. Of course because of Edward's impeccable driving skills and speed, I was one of the first people in the room. I gave a curt smile to the boy sitting in the second row. He had long black hair that was pulled back behind him. His skin was an caramel complexion and his eyes were a gorgeous shade of brown. I walked towards the last row when I heard something that I shouldn't have heard, nothing. I didn't hear a heartbeat coming from this boy.

I knew it wasn't any use in letting my shield down for Edward, Dartmouth was a huge campus and the way he drove, he was probably across campus already. I sat down, never taking my eye of this kid's back. I wasn't sure if he realized what I was since he sat in his chair unmoving. I quickly scanned the room to see if anyone noticed that something was amiss. The only other two people in the room were going over notes from a previous class. The girl was nervous because she heard Doctor Tudish was a hard teacher. So I guess it was just me.

I walked back up to the guy and sat in the seat behind him. I figured I'd keep my intrigue casual and friendly, "Hello, my name is Bella." I couldn't help but be nervous, it was so unlike me to make the first move with anyone, and here I was talking to an unfamiliar vampire.

"Hi, I'm Richard." He said as he turned back into my direction. His eyes caught my attention since they definitely were a normal brown, not red or even amber. He gasped when he caught my scent. He started speaking too fast and low for any human to hear. "You're one of the Cullens."

Every alarm that was in my being went off with that statement. "I'm sorry have we met?" I had no clue how this strange vampire even knew who we were, let alone what information he did possess, and I didn't want to help him out with what he didn't know.

"No, Bella, we haven't. I am an old acquaintance of Carlisle's. We met some time ago when we were with the Volturi." His eyes flickered in the light of the fluorescents.

"Okay, but how did you know that I was a Cullen?"

"The scent of his boy, I believe his name is Edward? Yes Edward, is all over you. I drew the only conclusion I had, and that means you must be his mate." Richard was so smug, like he was the only one in on an inside joke. "Tell me, how is dear Carlisle?"

Thankfully, Doctor Tudish started the class. I looked around quickly and noticed that the classroom had filled up while I was engaged with Richard. I looked once more at the vampire and I didn't like the situation. I remember all of my occurrences with the Volturi and never once did I ever recall a Richard, and anything to do with the Volturi is not something one is likely to forget. Even the stories that Carlisle told me of his history, never once did he mention a Richard. And if he wasn't an acquaintance from Carlisle's Volturi days, then who is he, what does he want, and why would he lie?

At that moment, my phone decided to ring, and Doctor Tudish looked at me annoyed. "I hope you plan on giving me your phone," she said. Up until that moment I never realized how pleasant her voice was for a human at least.

"I'm sorry professor, it's an emergency." I gathered my things and walked out of the class. I took a look at the phone to see it was a text message from Alice: "Run! Edward is on the way!"