Prologue: Twinkling Part 7

Kiss of Betrayal

"I'm not leaving Bella." Edward said calmly. "She isn't a trained fighter and she'll be too busy concentrating on her shield around everyone." I felt Edward's grip tighten around my body. I love my husband but sometimes, he is a little too possessive.

"Edward, I'll be fine."

"Hmm, when it was Victoria leading the army, you didn't want me to leave your side. And now, it's okay?"

"I was human then. I can take care of myself." It almost didn't matter to me because no matter what, we still outnumbered Richard and his five friends. But for some reason, I suddenly felt adamant about taking care of myself in battle.

"Bella," he said lifting my chin so that my eyes met his, "I don't want to part from you. You and Renesmee are my life and reason. If we must fight then I want to stay by your side." He kissed me on my forehead, and I was amazed at how I was still dazzled by him.

"Jasper, is there any way we can do this without Edward helping you with point?" I asked. Rosalie smirked once she saw that I caved, while Emmett merely smirked. Actually looking around, everyone was amused at the scene that just took place. I need to work on that.

"I'll substitute for Edward." Carlisle exclaimed, which was very surprising since Carlisle hated resorting to violence. I wasn't the only one that stood there shocked because Carlisle rebutted, "Nobody goes after my granddaughter."

"Oh, violence is okay for her, but any of us, you want to be hesitant!" Emmett called out before busting out with laughter. Carlisle, realizing how that seemed stated, "Well yeah, you guys can take care of yourselves." And with that everyone busted out laughing.

"Alright then it's settled." Jasper said in a hushed voice. It felt like the right moment to say 'Break!' and slap hands, but I resisted the urge. Carlisle, Jasper and Emmett ran out the front doors to put the plan in motion. Renesmee was going to sit on top of Jacob's back while he was in wolf form, if she needed to get out of there, he'd be ready to take her, and fast. I just hoped it would come to that.

Esme, Rose, myself and Edward, went out the back doors and walked into the backyard to meet Richard and his crew. Alice followed us but she was busy making the fire pits that would be needed for the fight. We only needed to wait fifteen minutes before six vampires emerged from the tree line. I looked at Alice who also appeared worried about Jasper. Something must have happened to the guys in order for them to not have taken out at the very least one vampire.

I rechecked the shields that I placed over my family, and once I was satisfied that they were good, I turned my attention back to Alice since she was just coming out of a vision. Edward's grip on my hand loosened, and immediately I was glad he stayed with me. Then I felt a wave of guilt rush over me because whatever could have happened to Edward, may have happened to Carlisle, Emmett, and Jasper.

"Ahhh, I see I get to finally meet the Cullen's. I've heard so much about you." Richard said as he broke away from his little group. He walked up to us, but was careful not to get too close. His eyes roamed down our little band, looking us over. "You must be the lovely Esme, this is Rosalie and you have got to be Alice. I've always heard you described as a little pixie, and I can definitely see that is correct. I've already had the pleasure to meet Mrs. Bella Cullen. It makes me somewhat sad that I didn't meet you before young Edward here, who knows, maybe it would have been me and you?"

"One can dream Richard." I muttered, though I began to smirk as I saw how frustrated Richard was when he realized none of the females were oohing and aahing over him.

"Where is my dear friend Carlisle?" Richard looked around at each of us again before turning around on his heels. I gasped at the sight of Emmett, Jasper and Carlisle being dragged out of the woods, surrounded by ten vampires. "Ahhh, he is. My friend, did you think that you and your pathetic little family would outnumber me? I know your gifts, I know you." Richard menaced back towards me and Edward. "Hand me the girl, or I start killing your family."

Edward continued to separate me from Richard, but it was still obvious he didn't know why none of us were falling for him. He may have known about Edward's, Alice's, and Jasper's respective gifts, but he didn't know I was a shield. I was a relatively new member of the family, and no matter what he heard about the Cullen's over the years, for the most part there would have been no reason for anyone to discuss me in the dungeon.

I slowly peeled my shield from around me and let a little bit of what Richard was sending my way invade my mind before I shut my shield back around me. I got a taste of the lust that he wanted me to feel towards him, but quickly shook it off. I wanted to desperately signal to Edward not to believe anything that he was about to see me do, but I didn't want to risk Richard's gift overtaking me. I stepped out from behind Edward and tried to walk seductively over into Richard's arms. I definitely was more graceful than I would have been if I was human. Knowing me then I probably would have tripped.

I pictured my beautiful angel as I raised my left leg around Richard's torso and planted a passionate kiss to his lips. I looked over Richard's shoulders and saw Emmett and Jasper gasping at my embrace with Richard. Stupid boys. I winked at Carlisle and was so, so grateful that he understood. The vampire that was holding him was surprised when he was suddenly on the ground. Emmett and Jasper caught on quick and tag teamed their captors and began ripping their arms from their bodies.

Hearing the commotion behind him, Richard broke from the kiss enraged, but before he could do anything but look at me, I one-handedly ripped off his left arm. His right arm quickly followed its partner in the fire pit courtesy of Esme.

I backed away from his broken torso and surveyed the scene before me. My family was each engaged with a vampire of their own when I realized there were three more vampires entering the valley. I turned my attention back to Richard. "Why?"

"Edward was Carlisle's first. Am I right?" I didn't even give him the dignity of answering him in any way. Haven't you noticed that Edward is seen as the favorite of all of his creations? Well that's how James was to me. I preferred him over Victoria or Laurant. I was with him the longest before I split from the group and joined the Volturi. I desired more power, and I knew I was destined for it. Edward took away James from me. Victoria was a dumb creature who couldn't even fulfill vengeance right. I didn't mourn for her, or Laurant. But James, I wanted Edward to feel what I felt." In an instant, Richard was moaning and writhing in pain, screaming for it to stop.

I looked up at the cloaked Jane, who was relentless in letting up. Not that I can blame her. Edward was back at my side, and I looked around and noticed that my family was completely intact and besides the three Volturi guards, we were the last vampires standing.

"Hmm, Cullens, Aro will be pleased that you survived yet another attack. It seems I am slightly too late to help with this fight." This was the second time that the Volturi showed up after we won a battle. Everyone knew perfectly well that if for somehow someone, was able to defeat us, Aro would not be sad. "He will also be pleased that you left this one alive." She took one look at Richard, whimpering now from the pain. If he was human, he probably would have been drooling at the moment. "Well, barely. But pleased nonetheless."

"Send my regards to Aro, Caius, and Marcus, Jane." Carlisle said, I guess he figured since the Volturi was on the pretense that we were old pals, he'd return the sentiment.

"I will do so." Jane ordered the other two cloaked vampires to grab Richard and the four of them left the valley in a very quick manner which was fine by me. We quickly put the fires out, and raced each other back to the house.