Prologue: Twinkling Part 6

Battle Plan

Speaking things out loud, instead of just formulating thoughts in my head, just made the situation seem more real. Here it was my family, mainly my daughter was being hunted by a vampire whose mission was to avenge his son's death. I steadied myself against Edward's torso, as he handed Renesmee over to Jake. No matter who's arms she was in, we knew Renesmee would be protected, she was amongst family. Even Edward had come to accept Jacob as a member of the family, though we didn't like to think about the time that will come when Renesmee may realize she's in love with Jake.

"Should I take her and run?" Jake asked with worry in his eyes. He would never be able to survive if something ever happened to Renesmee. I think that was the level that Jake and Edward would always connect on.

"No, that won't work this time. According to Carlisle, Richard is an excellent tracker, he trained James, and James by far was by far one of the best trackers I had ever encountered, outside of Demetri. The only difference is, Demetri would track via the tenor of someone's mind, James, and most likely Richard track by pure scent. Running with Renesmee, would only lead Richard away from us and directly to you and her. It's best that we stay together." It seemed to me that there was a lot of thought in Edward's little speech, he must have been thinking the same thing before he shot it down on his own.

"I think the real question is, what do we do in the meantime?" Esme said as she looked between her granddaughter and me. "Does everybody keep their normal routine?"

I thought about Esme's questions. I knew college was a bad idea. I was not leaving this house without my daughter. She was going to be under twenty-four hour surveillance by me. She'd be lucky if I left the room without her. "I'm staying here. Edward I know you wanted me to have my college experience, but I can't, so don't ask me to."

"Shhh, Bella, it's okay. I would never ask you to. Of course you're staying home, as am I." His words were so soothing to me, and for one moment it was all okay. But then, upon hearing Carlisle's car driving up on the gravel, I was brought back to reality.

Carlisle walked into the house very collected and found us all in the dining room. "I have some news." Everyone looked anxiously at Carlisle, we still needed to fill him in on our little revelation. "It seems, Aro, for once was not through in keeping tabs on the prisoners in the dungeon, and our friend Richard was never dismembered, he was simply thrown in a cell, left to starve, except for once a year where they would feed him a human. For centuries he stayed down there, never giving a clue as to what he was planning until one day, he figured out a plan to break out."

"What did he do, tattoo the blueprints of the dungeon all over his body?" That would be Emmett to think of something so ridiculous. Rose hissed at Emmett and threatened to hit him, I think he was still in the doghouse for putting a dent in her car the other day.

"No, Emmett. From what Aro told me on the phone, Richard used his gift to look like Felix, while in the cell. When the guard that came on duty to watch the prisoners, he saw 'Felix' and rushed to his aide. Needless to say the guard was very surprised when Richard got the drop on him, and yet he was able to work his way through the maze of tunnels that made up the home of the Volturi. Aro suspects that he may have had help, and are investigating everyone individually."

"Carlisle, why was Aro so forthcoming now?" I asked. Just mentioning the Volturi was enough to make me doubt any help that was offered to us.

"He may see this as a way of trying to earn back my friendship. Aro is no fool and right now, as far as numbers go, and as far as he is concerned, I am the "leader" of a very powerful and large coven. He is too power hungry not to believe in the adage, "Keep your enemies close, and your friends closer."

I closed my eyes, begging for a sleep that would never come. I often thought that in that respect, I envied Renesmee. Though I couldn't sleep, I kept my eyes closed listening to the chatter of my family going back and forth about what we should do in regards to my schedules. I let my mind drift out when I realized Jasper was sending me feelings of peace and calmness. I opened my eyes and pulled my shield down. "Edward, he's here. I heard him getting closer to the house." I made sure that my family was protected within my bubble.

Edward listened out with his power and slightly nodded his head in agreement. He looked over to Alice and I could see them having one of their silent conversations. Ordinarily, I loved watching them together, but now I was just anxious to know what was going on. I was glad though, that except for Jasper, no one seemed to know that there was something about to go down. I gave Alice a plea after I saw her go into a blank stare, after her vision. Edward's grip on my hand tightened from whatever he saw in her vision. Alice looked at me and barely whispered, "Tonight, we fight."

"Carlisle, we don't have much time before he's in hearing range, but he is on the way along with a few friends, I count five. There is no other way but to fight." Alice said in a softer voice, as if speaking any louder would tip Richard off.

"How much time do we have?"

"Thirty minutes tops. They are coordinating and synchronizing their attack. They're forming a semi circle around the house and coming from the back and sides."

"Then Emmett, Edward in I will leave the house from the front, we'll run and spread out in different directions, only to double back behind them. I am sure that this Richard would have placed himself at the center of his semi-circle, so Edward you'll take his point while Emmett and I will flank you. The crux of the battle will belong to the rest of you. Tonight this will have to end." Ha! It was so handy having an army general from the Civil War on your side.