Chapter 17: Checks and Balance

We gathered in the living room because there were so many vampires to even attempt to cram into the dining room. Emmett, Rose and Edward still hadn't returned from placing the hostages back in their beds so that it seemed that they weren't feeling good from some bug, and took a nap. Edward was now the last one to return to the house and when he arrived he quickly searched out a spot by me on the armrest of the loveseat. He started rubbing my back and I really wanted this meeting to be over.

Marcus and Carlisle stood in front of the T.V. while Esme choose to seat herself in the Lazy-Boy. Demetri and Renata stood close to each other. In fact, Demetri was holding, no cuddling Renata in a way that Edward was to me, or Carlisle to Esme. Even though I made it a habit to stay as far away from the Volturi, I never once saw that Demetri and Renata were a couple. I wondered if her love for Demetri was the reason she fought on our side, or if she knew of his and Marcus' defection or if she knew and agreed with the reason. I was thinking that it was the former, since she was always in close proximity to Aro, he would have known Marcus' plan. Though then again, Renata was shield like me, so who knows.

I could see from Renesmee's face that she was worried about Taylor. On the field, he phased back into his human form, and there was a deep gash going down his right arm. Carlisle tried to assure her that he would be fine, and that the stitches would probably only need to be in for about a half an hour. Werewolves heal very fast. My thoughts were that she was just anxious to see him again. Esme figured that with everything that needed to be discussed tonight, that it would probably be best if the werewolves went back to the reservation. If there was anything that concerned them, then we'd just fill them in later.

While the wolves were at La Push, the six werewolves that remained from Aro's pack were huddled together in the corner of the room. I took a moment to process their appearance. In wolf form, they were all light grey with red eyes. However, as humans, they were very tall men, maybe even taller than the tribe, and they each had blonde hair blue eyes. The features in their face were boxy and sharp, very distinguished.

"Well my friends, it seems today finds us in a new order." I could hardly believe that Marcus' words were directed towards us. But there he was, in our home no less, addressing us as if we were on a team. Well now that Aro and Caius were dead, and he helped in that matter, I guess we were. "But before we begin, there is much to discuss. First the werewolves, excuse me, shapeshifters, that were acquired by Aro from Norway, was it?" Marcus looked at the bunch expectantly.

The werewolves that flanked the tallest looked up as well. "Yes that is correct. Norway is from where me and my brothers hail from."

"Well that settles it. I release you from whatever bond that Aro had over you. You may all go back to your homes."

"With all due respect, this Aro that you speak of, has made threats against us and our families, yet he still proceeded to killing everyone and everything that we loved. Forgive me, but there is no home to return to."

"I'm sorry, please forgive me. I don't know where my manners are. My name is Carlisle Cullen, and this is my home. And you are?"

"Henrick."

"Well, Henrick, as you saw we are on fairly good terms with the local pack of shapeshifters. Maybe you'd consider staying with them or just stay in the area till you figure out what you want to do? I believe the Alpha, Taylor, will be back within the hour. You may speak with him of your desires."

"Yes we will remain here, but for the time being, my brothers and I would like to hunt." Carlisle nodded his head in agreement, and the Norwegian pack filed out of the house after their leader.

Before speaking again, Marcus waited a few moments to make sure they were out of hearing range. "Alright now that that is settled. Now is the matter of government." Marcus paused to look at the crowd that was before him. "In it's true form, the Volturi acted as the executive level for vampires. Before the Volturi, even the Romanians, were a form of government, though it was chaotic at times. All that is now left of the Volturi is the three of us." Marcus looked at his counterparts who both looked down in mourning for the ones that they helped kill.