Chapter 15: Last Day

The air at the high school settled over the next few days after the excitement of prom had waned. Now the only major event for the school to look forward to was the last day of school. Sarah was so excited when me and Edward handed her the tickets in Seattle. They arrived in the mail Friday afternoon, but I wanted to wait until after prom to give them to her. That way she got to experience two separate happy moments.

"Oh my God Bella! You shouldn't have," she shrieked. "Are you guys going too?" Sarah's curly brown hair bounced behind her in a ponytail in sync with her excitement.

"No, actually next Wednesday, a lot of our friends and family are coming in for a bit of a family reunion. They're coming in from out of town, so we're all going to go camping. We won't be around after our last final." Alice interjected. Sarah knew that camping was our cover story for why we weren't out in the sun. During many sunny days throughout the school year, she spent with us at the Cullen house, and seen us shimmer. With just a few words however, Alice was able to clear everybody's schedules for the weekend, so our absence from the parade, or anything else wise wouldn't be missed.

"Oh," was her simple reaction. I think she picked up on the cue about our friends and family coming in for a visit. Knowing that most were not vegetarian vampires, she shuddered slightly. "Then what's the occasion for the tickets?"

"Well, I knew they were your favorite band, so since they were going to be in the area, I figured you'd enjoy that experience more than the parade." Sarah looked at me suspiciously. I guess she had every reason to think something was up. "If you'd rather go the parade, you can give the tickets back. This was just our way of saying thanks for everything you've done for us this past year." About twenty years ago, Jasper had told me that even though I was horrible at lying, I was getting better at it. I think it had everything to do with how much truth was actually in the words that came out of my mouth, and since most of what I was telling her was the truth, I hoped that was the case here.

"Oh Bella, you guys didn't have to do that! But of course you're welcome." Sarah bounded over to each of us to give out her hugs. I was amazed at how much one little person could contain within her being. She ran off to find Michael so she could show him her prize.

Now that Sarah and Michael would be safely out of town that day, we only needed to get through till the middle of next week. But since we were still in the present, we made plans with Michael and Sarah for later this week, to form our own little "study group." Finals were next week and Michael wasn't doing too well in history or math, while Sarah kept second guessing herself in Computer Science. Alice had seen that many of our allies were arriving on Wednesday, but what she didn't mention was that they were arriving this Wednesday not next, so we were going to meet at Sarah's house after school on Thursday and Friday. Of course, we'd already been through high school before so our little study group was really a tutoring session, but only Sarah knew that.

Though the circumstances weren't the best, I was glad to see our friends again. The very first half human, half vampire creature we had ever encountered besides Renesmee, Nahuel, was bringing his aunt Huilen, his father Joham, and his three sisters. Joham, Nahuel's father, had thought that he was creating a super-race of vampires and began experimenting with the idea several centuries ago. I was glad he did because it saved our life. They would be the first to arrive along with the rest of the Amazonian coven, Zafrina, Senna, and Kachiri. Zafrina and Renesmee developed a close friendship that started when Renesmee was still a baby. Zafrina had the ability to create illusions in the minds of anyone she should choose. Renesmee loved it since Zafrina always gave her something pretty to look at.

The next group that would be arriving shortly after the Amazonians, was the Denali's. Benjamin, Tia, Amun, and Kebi were the Egyptians and were agreed to stand with us again. During the last encounter, Amun was not at all pleased with the idea of standing witness for Renesmee and was very eager to leave with his mate as soon as he could. Benjamin was a blessing because he could physically alter the elements. The other covens and nomads would be trickling in throughout the rest of the week, and Alice foresaw that unlike last time, there would be no conflict with any of our guests at the very idea of standing up against the Volturi.

I was introduced to several vampires that I didn't know. Veronica, Regan, and Cam were American Nomads. They had come across Garrett a number of times and he was able to get a hold of them for this event. It seemed the three of them had a previous grievance with the Volturi as well. Cam's mate, Diana, ignored the rules and created an immortal child. Diana along with the child were destroyed by Aro. Good. Their anger was needed. Though she no longer possessed the strength of a newborn, Veronica was a newborn compared to the rest of the vampires that were located in the house. Her power was especially unexpected as she could project her thoughts to others.

As the covens came into our home, we would go over the plan. Everyone listened to me, Jasper and Carlisle as we dished out the roles that each one would play for the inevitable day. The pack was also beginning to spend a lot of time at the house. They too listened intently over the plan, every single time it was retold, and each time, they tried coming up with different strategies to help solidify a victory. Though the bonds with this new pack was not as strong as with Jake's pack, I still did not wish any harm to any of them, particularly Taylor. It would just kill Renesmee if anything happened to him.

Preparing for war a second time in one lifetime just seemed unreal. Only this time I wasn't so sure that the outcome would be as favorable this time. Everyone was on pins and needles with anxiety, even the shady Romanian vampires, Vladimir and Stefan, only through their anxiety, you could sense that they were eager and hopeful that the Volturi were destroyed in the process. Every vampire that was not a vegetarian went well outside our normal boundaries of 300 miles to hunt.

"The only thing that's troubling me," Zafrina interrupted one night when we were strategizing again, "Why now? Even with this new addition to the guard, why would the Volturi believe they had the upper hand? I mean those who were here the last time, saw how quickly they ran when they realized they were severely out-numbered and gifted." Everyone looked to Alice in anticipation, but she only shook her head in defeat.

"Something's not right. I can see they are on the move, I see the guard, the wives and their witnesses. But vaguely, something is shielding them. I can't quite figure it out."

"Well, though there is reason enough, there is no sense in worrying about something we can't change or possibly know." Carlisle's intelligence never ceased in our most trying times. "In a few minutes, the kids will need to leave for school. As I understand it they will be back shortly as they will be taking their last final today. We will discuss this when they return."

And with that, everyone dispersed to separate areas of the house, though myself and Edward ran back to the cottage. Tomorrow, we may be fighting but today, we had our last day of school. I choose a grey t-shirt dress and black leggings. I paired that up with a light denim jacket and black flat shoes. Edward changed into jeans and a grey t-shirt that clung to his muscles and I immediately wanted to rip it back off. We hurried back to the house to meet up with Alice and Jasper. Renesmee was already in Taylor's truck and waved to me and Edward.

We were soon following behind them down the path and onto the highway to school. Michael got his license over the weekend, so since he was driving Sarah to school, we would just meet them in the parking lot. I chuckled when I realized the only ones that were done with our finals was my family. Everyone else seemed to be struggling, with the exception of Sarah and Michael. They had excellent tutors. The last bell finally rang and everyone bustled out of the classrooms and into the hallway. We said goodbye in the parking lot to Sarah and Michael, somewhat eager to get ready, there still seemed to be a lot to finalize.

"If it helps you relax, you and Michael passed all of your finals!" Alice whispered to Sarah so that Michale couldn't hear. Sarah still didn't know our powers so I'm sure she just chalked that statement to Alice being incredibly nice.

"Have fun at the concert you guys, and take lots of pictures!" I called out to them as we were separating.

"I will! Have fun on your camping trip!" She called back to me. And with that I hoped that I would see my friend again.

As we were driving home, I saw Alice clutch Jasper's arm. Her eyes glazed over and she stared out into another world for all of two seconds. "What did you see Alice?"

"They'll be here in the morning. I still can't see why I can't see them, but I see us in the clearing just as the sun breaks."

I closed my eyes waiting for a sleep that would never come. Morning it is.