Chapter Eighteen: Surprise, Surprise

Chapter Eighteen: "Surprise, Surprise."

"YOU HAVE REACHED Doctor Lauren Peters, I'm not able to reach your call now so please leave a number and a message and I'll be sure to get in touch." The voicemail box goes to the answering machine once again. I sigh and cross my arms as I walk down the street.

"Uh, hi Mom. It's um, Morgan again. I just wanted to know if–" I begin, only to get cut off my the other line.

"Hello? Morgan? Are you there? Hello." An easily recognizable voice says through the phone. I smile at the answer and clear my throat.

"Yeah, Mom, I'm uh, here." I reply.

"What are you calling for?" She asks. The end goes silent before I hear loud sirens run through the speaker and voices yelling. Specifically my Mom's name.

"Is–is this a bad time?" I ask, suddenly feeling a tad bad for calling her in the middle of a shift on a Friday night. "I'm sorry, I'll call back–"

"No, no you're not interrupting. What is it?"

"Is–is Charlie home?" I ask. "I–I mean, Dad?"

My Mother remains silent before she releases a heavy sigh. "No. He's–he's left. Why?"

"When did he leave?"

"Um, maybe this morning. I–I don't know the exact time, it's through a message–" more voices become louder and more chaotic and my Mom says some muffled words before clearing her voice over the phone. "Listen, Morgan, I'm going to have to call you back, I have a lot of patients here in critical condition and need surgery."

"Oh–okay," I say, but stop. Dozens? What does she mean dozens? "Dozens? What from?"

"I'll know more when I find out. All I know is that they're gun–"

"To where? The stomach and shoulder?"

"Maybe–"

"Is there a symbol on them?"

"I won't know unless I take a look, alright? Now I have to go!" My Mom yells and hangs up the phone.

The noise of the cut line rings through my ears as I stand there in shock. Did my stalkers strike again? Realization hits me at the possibility and I find myself running towards my house, regardless of the occupancy.

I swing open the door, locking it behind me and feel relief wash upon me as I'm welcomed in to an empty house.

I don't bother taking my shoes off as I rush to the living area, flicking on our large flat screen TV and turn to the news.

A large headline rolls across the screen, reading in bold letters: 10 dead, 20 rushed to hospitals in critical condition during an attack at a local store. For more information visit–

My eyes widen in shock as I ignore the lines and grab my laptop from the kitchen. I see a freshly made sandwich and some juice sitting on the counter. Raising a brow, I approach the mouthwatering food and see the small note written underneath. "Hope you enjoy this sandwich. Sorry we haven't talked much. See you soon, Morgan. Xoxo, Mum."

I suspiciously read the note, but once satisfied and not thinking anything about it, I take the sandwich and juice and go back to the living room. I glance at the TV screen once more, catching the web address and punching it into the URL before pressing Enter.

I take a bite of the sandwich, and a sip of the juice and read the article. Maybe Mom got a call from the Belmont-Grey's saying I'd be coming home and made me a welcome back food. "An incident occurred just only minutes ago as a man and woman entered a Wal-Mart with guns pulled out, shooting random shoppers. The suspects didn't get much before the stores security scared them off and police are still roaming the streets looking for them.