Chapter Forty-Two: The Transition

Chapter Forty-Two: "The Transition."

AS SOON as I get home, I lock the door behind me and arm it after I let Borealis outside quickly. Once that's done and over with, I trap us in my room with my alcohol, some pre-ordered pizza that arrived at my house just as I did, and a Netflix marathon running.

After about two hours of hardcore binge-drinking, I pop some sleeping pills in my mouth and force my arms to cocoon my body in a blanket, waiting for the pills to make their effect.

***

I'm woken up shaking and in extreme panic.

There's a freezing liquid pouring down me from my head to my lap, covering my bedspread with whatever it was. I'm very much disoriented and looking around for whatever it was. Oh shit. Was this acid?! "What the fuck!" I shout.

I turn around again, and see a shadow standing before me that definitely wasn't there beforehand. I immediately reach for my gun that I am now legally allowed to carry.

Their hands stop me from going any further and I punch Gordon in the arm once I realize it was him. "What in the hell are you doing in my house?! I armed it, how the hell did you get in here?"

Gordon throws the large pail on the ground. It takes me a few minutes to realize it was only ice water. "I thought you were dead! You didn't show up this morning and you weren't answering any of your phones. So, I came to check in, seen your cars here, and thought you might have been in trouble."

"I armed it. How'd you get through?"

"Easy. Emily's birthday isn't exactly a smart choice of pass codes."

"It was here since I've been." I mutter, and the coldness and wetness of my pants makes me grow uncomfortable and cold. I'll definitely be getting a cold from this. "Why the hell did you throw ice water on me? Like, seriously? You couldn't have just shaken me awake like a normal person?"

"I did," Gordon protests. "As I said, I thought your dumb ass was dead. You literally weren't moving and so I tossed you around a 'lil bit. I pushed you, I screamed in your ear, hell, I even used your father as an excuse because I knew you'd shake awake at that. But, you didn't, so I thought this was a better route than calling the funeral home. I at least found out you were breathing."

Had I been out cold that long? I thought I would have slept longer, but who knows. I feel the same I did at Tyler's, relaxed and refreshed.

"Why are you here, Nathaniel?" I ask, my voice groggy and my heart has finally started slowing its beats down to a safe rate. I start shivering, and my teeth begin to chatter as I use the blanket to try and warm me up.

"Do you not remember?" He asks annoyedly. "You were supposed to come to the station to sign your identity papers. Unless you want to back out now?"

My eyes widen as I start to remember. I forgot that I had to meet up with him today. The alcohol must have made me forget and made my sleeping pills go a lot longer on than I was planning. My head shakes rapidly. I don't want to back out, I need this. I don't want to be living in fear forever. This will help me out, this will help me out a lot, and I'm not backing out of something I so desperately am in need of.

"No, I am not backing out." I say, my voice firm and not in doubt.

"Why didn't you show up then? Sleep in late?" He asks, his face suddenly soft and serious. There's some concern in there, though I don't know what he needs to be worry about.

"Um, yeah?" I say, not entirely sure. It's partially true, I did sleep in, but that's because of the sleeping pills. It's also because I had booze with them, so they worked more effectively, but I just hope he doesn't ask why. I can't have a sleep pattern like this when I go to Uni, it'll make me fail my classes with no doubts.