Chapter Forty: Heartbreak Cover Up

Chapter Forty: "Heartbreak Cover Up."

BOREALIS walks in proudly and I exhale a loud, shaky breath. I shake my head to clear my racing thoughts, and decide to sleep downstairs tonight in case anyone makes any surprise visits. I bring everything I need down to the living room, and place my devices on the table, and turn the TV on to MTV. Degrassi is on, and I watch contently until it ends.

Once a commercial shows and a preview of the next episode comes on, I decide to take a shower to relax all my currently-tense muscles. I walk to the main foyer to arm the house, and once everything is double-locked, armed, and secure, I lead myself to the bathroom where I turn on the hot water, and strip off my layers. I leave the door open and have the house phone and my new phone sitting on the ledge of the bathtub, and I add a light blue bath bomb to the water. I run the water until it reaches my desired fill, and step into the heat, immediately relaxing.

Bo comes in and happily plops himself down against the tub after giving me a kiss on the cheek. I throw my hair in a bun and lean back, closing my eyes as the silence finally overpowers me.

That is, until the phone starts ringing.

My eyes fling open at their own accord, and I reluctantly answer the Private Name Private Number's call.

"Hello?" I ask into the phone cautiously.

"Good to know you're awake, I was hoping I could reach you but you weren't answering your other phone."

My caution fades as I take in a sigh of relief. "I, uh, got a new phone."

"Oh. Well, alright. You didn't bother to tell me."

"I've been really busy lately."

"Right." Gordon says, drawing out the word amusingly. "Anyway, I just wanted to call and let you know that whatever you pulled on that damned plane Friday night isn't going to result in charges against you."

"Obviously. If anything, I should be the one able to press charges. The chick hit me first, after all. Those are the rules in these kinds of things. You're in shit no matter what, but as long as you didn't start it, then you're not in as bad trouble. I ended it, simply."

"Knocking her out wasn't a good way to handle the situation. I thought I taught you better than that."

"I'm not working for you anymore." I point out, rolling my eyes, even though a small smile is on my face. Believe it or not, I have missed Gordon. He may be an ass to me, but he was like a father figure to me, even though he was just doing his job. He's lied and has done things you aren't exactly allowed to do in the police force, but he did it anyway. At least I have someone who can help me with situations where I can trust his judgement and his judgement only. He doesn't answer what he thinks is best, he answers with what's best for me, not his relationship with me.

"So all those times I sent you out on the field, whenever a person talked back or gave you a hard time you knocked them out?" He questions, but I hear the kid in his voice.

"No, of course not. I'm not that reckless, Nathaniel." I laugh.

"I've seen your file, Peters, you definitely have the audacity to do it." He replies, and I smirk. He is right, but still playing with him is fun. Sure, my rebellious days are over, but I'm not entirely changed. I've just stopped going to jail and getting busted. My illegal drinking habits are still there, and so is my attitude. I've gotten more mature and I've changed to an adult-ish degree, but at heart, I am still a teenager, just at the adult level and the adult responsibilities.

"That may be so, but I'm not all that violent anymore."

"That I do agree on. You've grown a lot since you were seventeen."