Season 2 - Episode 5 | NOT REVISED

Hailey had remained frustratingly quiet over the next week. I was trying to watch her. Get some clues. But, as always, she presented like the perfect image she tried to uphold. My only hope was if Dylan and Shane could catch something she posted on her blog. Until then, I'd have to be patient. How else was I supposed to bring this bitch down? I needed something she'd do anything to keep a secret. It was the only way to hit as hard as she'd tried to hit me.

Dylan and Shane's footsteps echoed off the walls as they ran up the stairs. I began to follow, surprised to feel Asher grab my wrist and pull me back.

"Hey," he said. I turned to face him.

"Yeah?"

"I want you to go out with me this weekend. See a movie, or go to a concert, or grab dinner, or something."

"You mean like a date?" Warmth bloomed in my chest. I may have fantasized about this just a little.

"No." My heart dropped. Asher seemed to notice this, because he quickly added, "But only because you don't want to do the girlfriend stuff without the girlfriend. So, just as friends. Who happen to like each other."

My cheeks flushed. "Then, yes."

The way his smile filled up his face lit my insides on fire. God, I was so done.

While we were walking up the stairs, I said over my shoulder, "Just so you know, I don't do sex on the first date."

"Third?"

"You wish."

"No kidding."

*

Is it embarrassing that I spent a good portion of the day getting ready for my not-date? Probably. But I pretended like it wasn't. There was nothing wrong with taking extra time in the shower, or doing my hair and a full face of makeup, or giving myself a fresh manicure. Nothing wrong with pampering myself like my own personal spa day.

The only thing Asher had told me was that our not-date would be indoors, but we would be doing some walking. I felt safe wearing a knee-length dress, considering I wouldn't be outside freezing. But heels were out.

"Aspen, your dickwad is here," Ky called up the stairs.

Somewhere else in the house, Dad told Ky not to be such a dickwad himself. I laughed. Throwing on my jacket, I ran down the stairs and found Asher standing just inside the doorway. He looked up at the sound of my footsteps.

"Wow, look at you, looking all beautiful," he said quietly. I dipped my face so he couldn't see the way I was blushing or the way he made me grin.

He took my hand and led me out to his car. While picking out music, I tried to ask him where we were going, but he wouldn't tell me. Just kept insisting that I was going to have to wait. I had no idea where he could possibly be going until we reached the parking lot. I hadn't been to the aquarium since elementary school during a field trip.

"I don't think I would have guessed the aquarium, but I like it," I said.

"Come on, I'm not all sex and smoking. Just like, three quarters."

Asher took me on the self-guided tour, which started with colorful tropical fish. I wanted to press my face against the glass and watch as all the little rainbows moved through the water.

"You're easily impressed," Asher said with a chuckle.

"They're gorgeous, and way cooler than the goldfish I had when I was younger."

"This is just the warm up. The sharks and octopusseses are amazing."

I turned away from the glass. "Did you just say 'octopusseses?'"