Season 5 - Episode 3 | NOT REVISED

Neither Liv nor I could sleep well the night before Prom. Besides the fact that we were up all night giggling due to a couple of pot brownies Liv had gotten, we kept coming back to the same topic: who had the best chances of winning Prom Queen? The idea of Hailey winning left an empty feeling in my stomach. After everything she'd done this school year, being rewarded with the crown (as worthless and plastic as it may have been) just seemed like some sick twist of fate. Even if I didn't win, Hailey winning was worse.

Waking up early that Saturday morning, I drove us both to get coffee and mani-pedis. Our entire day was dedicated to Prom. From nails to getting our hair done and doing our makeup, Liv and I spent the entire day together laughing and preparing.

From the minute I laid eyes on myself all put together, I couldn't look away. A silvery strand of fabric flowers wove through my curled hair, part of which had been pinned up in braids. Dramatic smokey eye makeup and a nude lipstick tied into my strapless dress, which was black at the bodice, but underneath the bejeweled belt, flowed to the floor as colorful as the Northern Lights, fading into white. I'd never looked more like a princess.

"You look like a queen," Liv said.

Our first official Senior Prom pictures were snapped on our phones in the mirror and uploaded to Instagram. Immediately, the likes poured in. I cocked half a smile. Even if I didn't win tonight, this was a confidence boost that would last a long time.

Liv's mom drove us to the park to take pictures. Coming up the drive to the parking lot at the marina, I spotted Asher's car parked near the edge of the lot. He was leaning against the side. My heels made it difficult to walk across the gravel towards him, but I stopped when I caught my first good look at him. The suit was almost perfectly-tailored, a peek of purple that matched one of the colors in my dress popping out from underneath the jacket. His long hair had been tamed and almost slicked back.

"Damn," he said quietly. Without taking his eyes off me, he groped around on the trunk of his car for the corsage. "I don't think I've ever seen you look so stunning."

My mouth felt dry. I opened it a few times, trying to find a response, but I was rendered speechless. Something about this moment was absolutely flawless. My breath caught in my lungs as I did my best to take in every detail and remember it. The slight breeze. The smell of the fresh-cut grass. The sound of the lake water lapping on the beach not far away. The way Asher's eyes stuck to me.

"We should go get our pictures," I said. "You know... uh, time limit, and stuff."

With a chuckle, he agreed. We paced down the path together to the dock that jutted out over the lake. The skirt of my dress flowed off beside me with the gentle breeze. Together on the dock, one of my final high school photoshoots happened with Asher, Liv, and Christian. It was bittersweet. This would be my last high school dance. The last time Liv and I got dressed up and took pictures like this together to go dance our night away.

A table was reserved for the four of us at a busy Italian restaurant. My stomach was in knots from the anticipation. I could barely eat my pasta. More of my time was spent pushing the noodles around with my fork, occasionally slipping a bite into my mouth.

"Do you think you guys are going to win?" Christian asked us. While I wasn't surprised it was brought up, I wished it hadn't. Tonight was supposed to be fun. And, maybe it was, but the tension of the game still loomed over my head.

"I honestly don't know," I said.

"As long as Hailey and Ky don't win," Liv told him.

"Like those assholes need another reason to think they're untouchable," Asher scoffed.