Season 4 - Episode 6 | NOT REVISED

Some God in some religion must have taken pity on me.  I was sure that I'd hit rock bottom by the end of February, and the idea that I could get any lower scared the hell out of me.  But March was a relief. 

It started with a day early in the month, a little warm for the time of year.  Cool enough that I was still wearing my jeans, but the windows in the living room were open a bit while I did my homework with the TV in the background.  Ky was locked in his bedroom.  The usual routine.  But at least I didn't feel like he was hiding from me at all costs anymore.  We could sit with each other at the table or walk past each other without unbearable tension. 

My math textbook was open on the floor in front of me, problems scattered all over the page.  I copied down a new problem into my notebook.  There were only a few left until I could toss my backpack in my bedroom and forget about it until the next morning. 

A car door slammed.  "Pen!"

Suddenly, I was looking out the window to Asher's black car on the street.  He rushed around the back end and through my front yard.  What the hell?  We didn't have plans today.

I got up and ran to the front door, opening it before he could knock.  His hands were behind his back.  A heavy breath blew through his lips.  He wore a grin.

"Pen, hey," he said. 

"Hey," I replied slowly.  I craned my neck to try to get a view of what he was holding onto.  "What are you doing here?"

"I have something for you," he said.  His words came out in a rush.  I'd never seen him this kind of excited.

"Yeah, I got that with you hiding something behind your back.  What is it?" I asked.

"Mail carrier mixed up our mail again," he said.  He pulled a hand from behind his back and passed me a stack of envelopes.  Our wireless bill was on top.  Nothing else looked to be any more exciting.

"Thanks," I told him, furrowing my eyebrows.  I tossed the mail on the steps behind me.  When I turned back around, he was holding a massive envelope in front of his chest.  Eyes widening, I stepped closer.   Aspen P Faust.  The logo in the corner stole my breath.

"Haverford," I said. 

I yanked the envelope from his grasp.  The edge tore away easily, a mess of papers falling out into my open palm.  The one on top had the college letterhead, addressed to me, and the words I'd been looking for.

"I got into Haverford," I breathed.  I looked up at Asher.  "I'm going to Haverford."

"You got in," he repeated.  Behind me, he looked down at the letter.  My eyes couldn't stop scanning each line.  Every flawless black letter.  This wasn't my first college acceptance letter, but it was the one I'd been waiting for.

"I have to tell my parents," I said suddenly.  The papers stayed firmly in my grasp while I ran to my things on the living room floor.  My heart was beating in my ears while I waited for the call to connect.

"Aspen, what do you need?" Mom asked.
I sucked in a deep breath.  "I got into Haverford."

"What?  Oh my Goodness!"

"I know.  Oh man, Mom, I got into a school I'm actually interested in."

"We're going to celebrate this tonight.  Any letters for Ky?" she asked.

"Nothing new," I said.

"All right, well I have to get back to work.  I'm so excited for you!"

I set my phone back on the floor, sitting beside it.  Though I was staring at my math book, I couldn't focus.  I was grinning.  All I could think about now was the fact that I'd been accepted into Haverford.  I flipped my pencil around in my hand.  The tip never met the page.