Season 3 - Episode 4 | PARTIALLY REVISED

Waking up in Asher's bed on New Year's Day was unexpected. Though, remembering why I was there was worse. Ky hated me. I couldn't stand to be at home. Not with Ky going about his day, either not speaking to me or reminding me just how angry he was with me. I couldn't think of a worse place to be.

Asher's mom was nice enough to invite me to spend the day with them. During breakfast, Asher told me that they had a tradition of Finn coming over and spending the day together watching movies, playing games, and going out for dinner. Apparently, today also marked the anniversary of another tradition. Asher's first time getting high. In passing, he told me that four years ago, he'd smoked with Finn for the first time. Now, they spent half the day high together every year.

"Would you boys mind going to pick up a pizza? I just called it in," Asher's mom said, walking out of the kitchen. The phone was still in her hand.

"Yeah, sure," Asher agreed. He jumped up off the couch immediately and disappeared down the hallway, returning a moment later wearing his coat and holding his keys.

Outside, it was cold enough that my breath formed foggy clouds in front of my face. The grass was frozen. I stuffed my hands in my pockets to try to brace against the temperature, grateful that it at least wasn't windy. Though, the cab of Asher's car wasn't much warmer.

Finn claimed shotgun, forcing me into the back seat. He rummaged in the backpack at his feet, pulling out a tin and a pipe. We had just barely left their house behind.

"Ah, yes, the Devil's Lettuce," he sighed. My eyes couldn't leave his fingers as they packed weed into the pipe. He patted his pockets for a second. "Shit, Asher, do you have a lighter on you?"

"In the center console," Asher said, pointing with his chin.

Finn found a small, plastic lighter, while simultaneously rolling down the window. A blast of winter air smacked me in the face. Christ. I hadn't been expecting that. He put the end of the pipe in his mouth and put the flame in the pile of weed. I paid close attention to the way he sucked it in, where he put his hands, and eventually blew it out.

Asher held out his hand.

"You're going to have to light me," he said, putting the pipe to his mouth. Finn leaned over and sparked it. The skunk-like scent was beginning to swell throughout the car.

"Why would you do that while you're driving?" I asked frantically. My eyes darted out the window. What cars were around to watch us? Rat us out? "What if someone sees you?"

Asher handed the pipe back to Finn, and then held up a finger. Time seemed to tick on forever. He eventually let the smoke out of his lungs, which was caught by the air current of the open window and ripped outside. He laughed. But not in the cute way when I told a joke.

"Pen, you're adorable," he said. "I've driven a thousand times like this; I'm fine. Plus, we're on back roads. Who's gonna see us?"

Finn turned his whole body around in his seat and watched me, mouth spread in a nefarious grin. He held the pipe out to me. "Do you want some?"

"Won't your mom smell it on us?" I asked. I didn't see how anyone couldn't.

"Nah," Asher said.

"And, even if she did, she wouldn't do anything about it," Finn said.

"Yeah, Mom basically stopped caring what we did after the divorce."

"Think that's a red flag for her mental health?"

"Probably, but do you want to try to tell that woman to see a therapist?"

"You're right." Finn turned his attention back to me, holding the pipe up again. "So, interested?"