Season 5 - Episode 6 | NOT REVISED

A few giant, gray trash cans littered the middle of the hallway. Over and over, I reached into my locker, picking through the remains of my Senior Year. No more textbooks. They'd all been returned. My binders and notebooks had been taken home. By now, all I had left were some random papers and a few candy wrappers to sort through. After today, this would no longer be my locker. No longer be my school. Today was the last day I'd walk these halls as a student, or meet Asher under the staircase, or drive in with Liv by my side.

I grabbed onto an empty soda can lying in the back of my locker. Two arms snaked around my waist from behind, a pair of lips grazing along my neck.

"Why, hello there," he said quietly in my ear.

I twisted myself around in his grasp, coming face to face with Asher. Here we were, passing the two week mark, and still together. After swearing all year he'd never have a girlfriend.

"Hey there, Stranger," I said. He grinned, kissing me quickly.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

"Which thing are you referring to?"

"Speech."

"Oh, hell yeah."

I'd practiced my graduation speech more times than I could count. After winning Prom Queen, I'd had more than a few suggestions to audition. I figured I'd give it a shot. Tonight, I'd be giving my own speech alongside the Valedictorian, Student Council President, and school administration.

Asher had been told to audition, as well.

He denied it vehemently.

"Are we still going out for dinner after the ceremony tonight?" he asked me.

"Dinner and then some," I said.

He cracked a mischievous grin. "Christ, what have I done to you?"

"Obviously made me more fun."

Chuckling, Asher said, "I have to run. Shane and Dylan are waiting on me."

"See you tonight," I replied.

Our lips met for a quick goodbye, and then he was gone. I watched where he'd disappeared into the hallway. I was still a bit dreamy. Caught up in the flawless fantasy of it all. But then, I turned back into my locker to grab the last piece of trash.

*

The setting sun lit the horizon in shades of gold and pink. I stood at the edge of the stage, sweating just a bit in my red cap and gown, fidgeting as I waited. Asher sat near the front of the sea of students. He nodded encouragingly, smiling at me, and offering an obscene gesture. I rolled my eyes.

"Thank you," Principal Ritter said, standing behind the podium wearing a black gown with some tassels around his neck. His hands gripped the wood tightly. "I would like to introduce our next speaker, Miss Aspen Faust."

Deep breaths, in and out, keeping my composure as I took my place behind the podium. A mob of people stared back at me. Behind the senior class, the bleachers were filled with friends and family, each one waiting to hear what I had to say.

I swallowed hard.

"This... is me," I began. "Prom Queen, honor roll student, and a girl who doesn't have much trouble finding new friends. Someone who has overcome fears. Who has found herself. Not even a year ago, I could only say one of these things was true.

"High school is something we all experience differently. Some of us focus on our work, some focus on friends and activities, and some focus on other things entirely. For most of my life, I remained quiet with the two friends I had, doing my homework and wishing I could be part of the fun. And then, this year, I was unexpectedly sucked into a social event with some of the most popular students in my grade. Beside me, a boy who kept to himself more than I did. If that sounds like a recipe for disaster, you're right. But, we made the best of it.