Season 3 - Episode 7 | NOT REVISED

Guitar music flowed easily through the cold air, surrounded by the voices of a few singers who wanted to join in. A bonfire crackled between us, offering just enough heat to keep us warm. I was snuggled up against Asher. We were sunken into the cushions of the couch, which would always feel out of place in the grass. This atmosphere was perfect. Laid back. Easy. Just a bunch of friends hanging out, playing music, and enjoying the night.

A little bit of snow clung to the ground outside the circle. It was the perfect place to stash some cans and keep them cold. While I was enamored in a conversation with Asher, Liv, and Christian, I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt.

"Hey, are we breaking out the ganja soon?" Asher asked across the circle.

"Ganja?" Liv said. Asher ignored her.

"Soon," Finn said. His fingers slid expertly up and down the fretboard.

"You want some?" Asher asked, looking at me.

"Maybe," I said. After my experience on New Year's, it was tempting. The fact that it was illegal still bothered me. And I didn't want to become a stoner, or worse, my brother. "But I wouldn't mind some of your beer."

"Oh, look, a rebellious one," Asher said. He handed me the icy can. I'd tasted beer before, and this one was exactly the same. Bitter. Slightly carbonated. A flavor that made me fail to believe anyone drank it for the taste rather than to get drunk. I passed it back, and Asher took a big gulp of it, teasing me after he'd swallowed. I stuck my tongue out.

"Here, try this," Liv said, passing me her bottle. This one was significantly better, like apple juice with no sugar.

"I could get used to this one," I said.

"You can split it with me," Liv said.

"Hey, Asher, why don't you give us some tunes?" Finn asked. He brought the guitar across the circle and held it out.

"What do you want me to play? I don't think I have anything good," Asher said.

"Not Green Day. If you beat me at that, I don't think I can ever play it again without a veil of shame," Finn said.

Asher took the guitar. I was suddenly cold where his arm had been.

I sat back in the couch and sipped some of Liv's cider while Asher started strumming out a song. I knew this one; it was one of my favorites. Somewhere between rap, ukulele folk, and pop. He was doing it a good bit of justice.

At the end, I was blushing, in part from the cold and in part from the song. Asher had made a point to turn to me and sing the flirtatious lyrics. Finn came back to collect the guitar. He set it down beside his seat and pulled his pipe and tin out of his backpack. Soon enough, everyone was passing it around the circle. When it reached me, I hesitated for a minute.

Fuck it.

I placed the end of the pipe between my lips, fumbling through the process. Asher took the lighter from me and helped me out. I was still new to this. It all became evident when I began coughing uncontrollably.

"Hey, coughing just makes it worse," Dylan said.

The burning in my throat was too much for me to suppress. Asher chuckled. He held onto the pipe while I tried to regain control of my lungs.

"Want another?" he asked.

"Yeah," I found myself saying.

"Look at this, Asher corrupted the poor girl," one of Finn's friends said.

While the flavor tore up my throat, I handed the pipe off. Somehow, this was all worth it. The extra laughter. The 'fuck you' to Ky. Just leaving the past behind. I'd been feeling awful all day after fighting with Ky last night. After Asher's panic attack. This was my chance to unwind and enjoy myself.