Series Finale | NOT REVISED

I fumbled around my keychain for the bronze dorm key. My backpack was weighing on my shoulders to the point where they were sore, and I was dying to throw it on the floor and collapse in my bed. After studying for finals, I was exhausted. I just needed a cup of hot cocoa and to veg out with a marathon on Netflix.

Shoving my key back into my pocket, I pushed the door open. He was sitting on my bed. My backpack slammed on the floor, and I jumped on top of him, feeling wild and full of questions.

"Asher! What the hell are you doing here?" I asked. "How did you even get in here?"

"Your roommate let me in before she left. I thought I'd come see you since you said that studying has been so killer," he said. His arms wrapped around me tightly, pulling me in so that I was cradled against him.

"Thank you," I said.

"Yeah, well, my motives were selfish. I missed you too damn much."

"It's only forty-five minutes."

"Too far."

"Just one more week, and then I'll be home for Winter Break. I've just gotta power through these finals. I've been studying more than I ever have."

"Do you want me to help you?"

"No, I just came back for a break right now. I don't want to think about anything."

"Hot cocoa?"

"Please."

Asher left me on my bed and found my mugs sitting on my desk. He let me sit back while he poured some bottled water into a mug and popped it into the microwave my roommate brought. While we waited, he leaned against the desk and stared at me, smiling.

"Yes?"

"Nothing. Just waiting."

I laid back in my pillows. My eyes closed. "I just remembered, I have a favor to ask. When I get home, would it be all right if we went on a double date with Ky? He and I haven't seen much of each other since he's been all the way across the state."

"Yeah, that's fine. I'll try to keep my roasting to a minimum."

"Please be as nice as you can. He's still kind of a wreck after Hailey cheated on him. I don't want to hit any sore spots."

"I couldn't feel bad for him if I tried."

"I know. But I doubt he'll be making that mistake again, and I think Scarlet realized that, too. He's damn lucky she gave him a second chance."

Asher finished mixing up my hot chocolate, and then handed me the warm mug. There wasn't much space for both of us in this bed, but we made it work.

Before I even finished my drink, Asher pressed his lips to mine. There we were. In my tiny bed, hoping my roommate didn't return, fumbling through life together. Learning to be adults. Learning to have a relationship. The love we made was sweet and gentle, just like the first time a year ago. Just as we'd been falling in love that entire time, and continued to fall even harder as we learned even more.

Thank God for that stupid game.

++++++++

And there we have it.  The end.  Prepare for an information dump, because I have other things coming for you.