Triple Date - Short Story

It felt so good to be home.  Even if I'd spent the past four years making my home in Philadelphia, it didn't compare to the house I’d grown up in.  Having Ky across the hall.  Being able to see Asher any time I wanted to, without planning ahead, without classes and books, just like high school and the summer after.  I'd missed this kind of freedom.  

“I'm so happy to see you again,” Scarlet gushed to me in my old bedroom.  It made me grin with the kind of warm feeling inside that only Scarlet could create.  She made everyone feel special.  Everyone mattered around her.  

“I know.  It's been forever.  I'm really glad you and Ky are coming along tonight,” I admitted.

After a few ons and offs again, Scarlet and Ky were once again “on".  I hoped this time they'd actually stay together.  Ky was actually motivated to be his best self when he was with her, rather than just hooking up with random girls from his school.  

Now, having gone through one of the busiest weeks of our college careers, we were finally back home until we got on our feet.  Graduation for us both was only days apart, but our schools were on opposite sides of the state.  It meant a lot of travelling for both of us.  Not just hauling ass to be there for both our big days, but helping each other move.  Last night, we enjoyed a movie night with pizza bagels to relax and unwind after mass amounts of chaos.

“All right, so show me the picture of how you wanted your hair done again?” Scarlet requested.  I found the picture I’d saved on my phone of an updo with curls hanging around it and tiny silver flowers woven through.  Seated in front of my vanity, I looked at myself in the mirror as Scarlet played with my curls, looking between the photo and me with a look of deep thought covering her face.  She dove in with a comb and some clips, somehow wrangling it into the masterpiece I’d envisioned.

And then we switched places, my supplies splayed out so that I could do her makeup.  Tonight wasn't exactly a big deal, per se.  We weren't really celebrating a big event as much as it was a chance for us to spend time together now that we were all home.  It had been Asher’s idea.  A triple date with he and I, Ky and Scarlet, and Finn and his Fiance, Cori.  But, of course, Scarlet and I both took this opportunity to dress ourselves up.

As we were finishing up, there was a knock on my door.  I opened it and found Ky waiting for us on the other side.

“Are you guys ready to go, yet?” he asked.

“Yeah, I think we're good,” I agreed.  I glanced over my shoulder at Scarlet, looking as flawless as she always did with her long, golden waves of hair and pastel yellow dress.

“Good, because I think Asher just got here,” Ky said.

My heart leapt in my chest.  Asher and I hadn't had the opportunity to go on a real date for a long time.  With me at school and him working extra hours at the shop, our schedules hadn't met up very well.  But all of that would finally be over soon.  Now that I was home, he and I would be finding an apartment together.  My stomach flipped a little every time I remembered I was going to be living with Asher.  The love of my life.  My best friend, boyfriend, and someday even more.

As I was passing Ky for the stairs, I grabbed his arm and quietly said to him, “Thank you so much for this.  For coming out tonight with us.  It means a lot to me.”

Ky smiled.  “Hey.  I can put the crap between me and Asher aside for one night for you.”

“And that's why I'm saying thank you.”

I pulled Ky into my arms.  It wasn't always like this, but we'd patched up our relationship.  I couldn't have been more grateful.

“Go.  You spent all night with me.  We’ll meet you there,” Ky said, pushing me a little.  I chuckled and ran down the stairs.