Season 1 - Episode 1

Ky sat with me at lunch today, which was surprising. Not that I minded - my twin brother was one of my best friends - but it was strange, because I was sure he would rather be sitting with his friends. The popular kids. The ones I never really clicked with.

"It feels weird to be back," he commented, shoving his fork into a pile of subpar macaroni and cheese. It was his favorite food, but the stuff here didn't hold a candle to the big batches we'd make over the summer to split late at night while watching awful movies from the 70s and earlier.

"I know, first days are the worst. At least this is it. No more first days after this," I replied.

"Yeah, and you're the freak that thought spending your Senior Year in AP History and Ancient World History would be fun. What is wrong with you?" he teased me, shoving my shoulder.

"Oh, shut up. The jokes stopped being funny at least three months ago," I said.

We were at an empty table in the corner of the cafeteria, surrounded by more tables that had only one or two people at them. It dawned on me that Ky was likely sitting here so I wouldn't be all alone. I would sooner sit by myself than find a group of people to introduce myself to.

"Oh, how cute!" I heard her voice before I saw her. Hailey Stevens ran up to our table, far too enthusiastically. "The Twinsies are sitting together!"

"Hey, Hailey," Ky said to her. I smiled and nodded, trying to be kind with my greeting, as Hailey was one of Ky's good friends. But I'd damaged that skill a long time ago. Hailey and I had never really gotten along very well.

"Ben and I wanted you to come sit with us." The invitation was directed solely to Ky.

"I don't want to leave Aspen all by herself," Ky replied. My cheeks warmed. Once again, I was Ky Faust's loser sister that he dragged around.

"But, Ky!" Hailey whined. "The list is out tomorrow. Today is the last day we can make suggestions!"

Ky sighed, glancing sideways at me. Of course I knew how important this was to him. He'd been waiting to be nominated since ninth grade. Hailey and Ben were his ticket to getting the nomination and teammate that he wanted. Everyone already loved him. He just needed that last recommendation from the class couple.

"Go," I said to him, gesturing towards the middle of the cafeteria. "You owe me."

"Thank you," he whispered to me. He grabbed his lunch and followed Hailey to the depths of the cafeteria, disappearing behind a sea of people.

Stuck alone, I found solace in my phone. I put one headphone in my ear to listen to music, and then resorted to Facebook to occupy my time. My newsfeed was filled with posts and pictures about the first day of school, but most people were focused on something far more important to us: the game.

Senior Standoff had been a tradition in our school for nearly ten years; ever since YouTube made its internet debut. The AV Club had taken it upon themselves to produce it every year. Ten guys and girls received nominations to play throughout the year for the coveted prize of Prom King and Queen. And, as was tradition, no one ever turned down a nomination. No one wanted to be the first.

Ky and I had been following the game since we got into high school, both fantasizing about getting to play. And now, it seemed like he was going to get to. Lucky him. I guess that's what happens when you spend three years rubbing elbows with the popular kids.

There was only one post so far on the official Facebook page for Senior Standoff 2015.

Get your nominations in, because the players list is finalized at midnight!