Season 4 - Episode 1 | NOT REVISED

I never imagined that Asher and I could rely so heavily on each other as we did for the month of his license suspension. Constantly holding onto each other to escape the troubles life had thrown towards us. Keeping ourselves sane. Without a license and losing some free time to working off his debt, Asher was going crazy. The cold shoulder from his mom didn't help. He moved into Finn's apartment within two days.

One of our problems was solved when I convinced Asher to teach me to drive stick.

"No way in hell are you driving my car," he insisted multiple times over. But he caved when being stuck without a ride was getting to him. He had a car. I had a license. And after a couple hours of grinding gears and stalling out the engine, it was finally a perfect match.

Then there were my troubles to solve. I knew the day that Mom asked me for details about the war between us was coming. As soon as she asked me to come into her bedroom for a chat, my stomach knotted. That was it. I told her everything, leaving out some of the more damning details, and had to make her promise not to get involved. There wasn't a scenario I could imagine where it would do anything but make the problem worse.

"That's why I've been out of the house so much," I told her, sitting on her bed. "At first, it was because Ky was always such a dick, but now I think his silence is even worse."

"You can't just move out. You're still in high school, and you can't run away from your brother," she said. "But, if it's really that hard on you, I think I can look the other way if you want to get out of the house a few nights a week, provided you're not doing anything stupid."

That was how I ended up staying at Finn's a few nights a week. There were nights I had to bite the bullet and stay in my own bed. Running into Ky didn't get easier. But then there were the nights in the apartment, sleeping on the living room floor with a couple of pillows and blankets, wrapped up in Asher's arms. Driving the two of us to school in the mornings. Staying up laughing, watching movies, and occasionally hooking up.

The month flew by. Our last night staying with Finn, we ordered pizza. The three of us sat on the couch watching a weird comedy movie while passing around a pipe. Finn and Asher were both nursing bottles of beer. After what had happened at the bonfire, I was too afraid to touch it. I knew my logic didn't make sense, which I was reminded of, but I couldn't do it.

"All right, you guys, I think I'm going to hit the sack. If you really can't keep your paws off each other, keep it down and don't make me an uncle," Finn said. He tossed his empty bottle in the recycle bin in the kitchen.

"Yes, Mom," Asher told him.

When we heard the door close, I grabbed my backpack from the floor and fished out my pajamas.

"I'm going to grab a shower," I said. Almost to the bathroom door, Asher grabbed my hand. I turned and looked at him.

"Mind if I join you?" he asked.

He locked the door behind us, then backed me up against it. His lips touched against my jaw.

"This is our last night. Might as well enjoy it while we still have it, right?" he whispered with his lips brushing against my ear. His fingers were tracing small patterns on the bare skin of my hips. I lifted my arms over my head so he could remove my shirt. Everything was soft and gentle as we stepped into the shower and closed the curtain.

Asher kissed me, hot water running over our heads and into our mouths. Hands roamed. He pushed a wet strand of hair from my face and cupped my cheek, just staring at me.

"You know, I never imagined that Ky Faust's sister could mean so much to me," he said quietly.

So many words came to mind when he said it, pushing a fire through my body while my lips struggled to know what to say. I knew what I wanted to tell him. But the fear and uncertainty held me back. I placed my palm against his chest and watched as I ran my fingers over the ink that was inside his skin.

"You've really been my rock lately," I said.

"I have something I want to ask you. And I was going to try to make it all special for you, but I don't want to wait."

"What?"

Possibilities rushed through my head. Was this it? Was he going to ask me to be his girlfriend?

"I've never asked someone this question before. Will you be my Valentine?"

"Of course."

××××××××××

This chapter is short and a little late, and for that, I am sorry.

Though, the next chapter is Valentine's Day and that just happened to be perfect timing since V-Day 2017 is on Tuesday!  But I won't make you wait until Tuesday for it.

Comment and vote and keep the story alive.  So many unicorns have been born with your help!