Season 3 - Episode 2 | REVISED

"Why does everyone have so much makeup?" Asher asked, sitting in a chair beside my desk as I applied my makeup for James Overton's New Year's Eve party. I watched one of my favorite YouTubers put together a dramatic eye look featuring a lot of silver glitter, following the steps behind her.

"Because it all does different stuff," I said. He looked through my palettes and tools.

"You're telling me all of these shades of pink are different?" He held up three different liquid lipsticks.

"You can't tell the difference?" I replied.

"You can?"

"Complain all you want, but you have to admit I make a masterpiece."

"Yeah, you're right. I do."

I glanced at him sideways, feeling the blood rush to my cheeks as he bounced an eyeshadow palette in his hand, looking me up and down. If there was one thing he lacked, a no-fucks attitude was far from it.

After forty-five impatient minutes, I was ready to leave. We bumped into Ky in the hallway. Everything suddenly felt tense. Their eyes lingered on each other, imagining perfect snubs to throw back and forth while neither broke the silence. Ky broke away first. He strolled down the stairs and off to the kitchen for the car keys. Too bad we would just be running into him again at the party.

"What a dickass," Asher muttered under his breath. I bit my lip, avoiding the knee-jerk urge to defend my brother.

It was strange stepping into James Overton's near-mansion. It was the biggest home I'd ever been in; the whole school had been invited and most was here. I hugged the wall right inside the door. Where should I even go first? Straight ahead a home theater played a movie just past an open doorway, a popcorn machine visible along the wall.

The heart of the party was in the living room. Ky and Scarlet leaned in the doorway, exchanging words and kisses as they were wrapped up in each other's arms. I felt my stomach drop, tearing my eyes away, desperately wishing I could just forget what I'd seen. Scarlet didn't deserve this. Ky continued to abuse her trust, sleeping with Hailey even within the past week.

And I was helping him lie to her.

"Do you want to go dance?" Asher asked over the music. I turned my attention back towards him. He watched me with concern, brown eyes not once leaving mine.

I nodded weakly. Asher's fingers intertwined with mine, and he tugged me into the living room. I swallowed my shame as I passed my brother, looking away to avoid them both.

Girls with drinks in their hands grinded on each other, laughing loudly while another friend took pictures. I watched as Asher kept his eyes on them.

"Ignore them," he said, lingering for a second before pulling me into him and turning me around. "People can let loose here and have fun however they want. But that's the whole point. Having fun how you want to."

"Well, dancing sounded fun to me," I replied.

Asher put his hand on my hip, pulling me in until I was touching him. We rocked together for a few minutes. My eyes closed, and I was able to ignore the people around me that seemed to know what they were doing far better than I did.

Asher only held me closer as he began drinking. He was protective and kind, sharing laughs with me the whole night.

"Hey, I have something important to ask you," he said, face pressed to my ear. My heart rate spiked. There was a foolish side of me that hoped this was when he would finally ask me to be his girlfriend. It was all I had thought about for days.

It was a fight to talk myself down from what I knew was too good to be true.

"Will you be my New Year's kiss?" he asked.

But, this was almost as good.

"I'd love that," I said.

He had a sloppy grin on his face. His lips dipped back to my ears, speaking very different words than I expected. "I have to piss. I'll be right back."

Laughing, I shoved him away. He glanced back over his shoulder as he was weaving through all the people. I just hoped he actually found the bathroom, instead of giving up and using a house plant.

After a few minutes passed, I started to become increasingly aware of how alone I was. In a room full of strangers. I would've expected Asher to be back by now. When the social anxiety became too unbearable, I went off searching for him. A handful of people had seen him pass by a few minutes before, but no one had fresh information.

The door to the bathroom in the hall was locked. I jiggled on the handle, and a guy shouted back that it was taken. To emphasize that, a girl moaned almost immediately after.

Maybe he'd gone upstairs.

Before I could reach the top of the stairs, a large slam thundered from above me.

"What the fuck, you piece of shit?"

I raced upwards. Around the corner, Asher was backed against the wall, staring down Ky, who was only a few inches shorter.

"I've told you to leave her alone," Ky demanded, words sloppy.

Asher laughed. "Why are you so obsessed with playing 'Daddy'? Aspen can choose who she wants to hang out with on her own."

"Because you're such a saint, right? That's why I'm crazy for not wanting you to fuck and dump my sister like every other girl you've hit on?"

"Hey, back off, asshole. She's my best friend."

Ky shoved Asher back towards the wall again, and Asher immediately jabbed at Ky's jaw. I felt sick to my stomach. They wrestled each other through an open doorway.

This could not be happening.

I followed them into the bedroom, lit only by the moonlight falling through the window. Each savage hit made my stomach sink further.

"Stop!" I cried out, trying to separate them. Asher pushed me away as Ky demanded I stay out of it. I swallowed back the rising bile and backed against the wall. Adrenaline began to burn in my chest.

"How'd it feel when your shitty dad couldn't take you anymore and left?" Ky spat.

"KY!" I screamed.

"Ky! There you are!" Scarlet called out, rushing into the room. I snatched her wrist, trying to keep her from getting involved.

"Yeah, funny, right? You know, as funny as how you're real scared of me fucking and dumping your sister, but I already fucked her, and I'm still here. You remember that, don't you? The night Aspen caught you fucking Hailey Stevens?"

"Asher!" I snapped at the same time Scarlet cried, "What?"

She yanked her wrist out of my grasp.

"You're full of shit," Ky spat, throwing another punch but missing, and stumbling a few steps.

"What the fuck is this about Hailey?" Scarlet demanded through clenched teeth, holding back tears.

Ky looked in our direction, like he was just now realizing we were here. "Scar, come on. Asher's just spewing bullshit. He's trashed."

I stared at Ky, so sick with guilt that I couldn't stand it anymore.

"No, it's true," I said, looking anywhere but towards Ky. I could feel his eyes burning into me. "I walked in on them hooking up after our Christmas dinner. Apparently it's been going on for forever, and it still is, and I know I should've told you, but he's my brother and I promised I'd stay out of it. But I just... I couldn't stand here and watch him lie to you like that because you're so nice and smart and pretty and you deserve so much better than him."

"You knew. And you didn't do anything," Scarlet said, tears beginning to roll down her face.

"I did; I'm sorry," I replied, just above a squeak. I pressed my lips together tight.

Scar turned around, crossing the room.

And she slapped Ky across the face.