Chapter 9: Smee

Hayden's POV

One hour to return to top shape. Let's do this! 

I climbed the stairs to my shitty hole-in-the-wall apartment.  I stripped and climbed into the shower to take a cold shower that would definitely shake me out of my downwards spiral, (temporarily, but I'd take it). 

I blushed and cringed as I heard the muffled thumps and noises of my neighbors going at it like rabbits. Not having a boyfriend for 24 years would kinda do that to you.

I scrubbed myself down with my favourite rose-scented wash and got out to get dressed. I decided on a power outfit (above). I also packed a change of clothes in a duffel bag and stuffed my medi bag in the duffel. I'd probably be visiting X-Club tonight to work out my tension. I sent a brief message to Plank, telling him to expect me tonight. I had messages from Gabriel telling me to dress casual for the weekend and that he'd meet me

Since tomorrow was Friday I'd be going out with Luke and would be with Gabriel over the weekend so I had to get the funk out of my system today. Wouldn't be fair to them if I was moody and emotional and shit.

 It was dark but the time I got out of the house and drove the for 15 minutes before I pulled into Stahl-Korba Securities. The exhausted security guard looked immensely bored and waved me in without even checking for ID, even though it was after the office hours.

The carpark was deserted save for a handful of cars that I supposed belonged to the Board people.

Even though I knew I was able to defend myself, the darkness of the carpark creeped me out and I sped-walked to the basement elevators. I was looking  behind me when I banged into something hard.

I shrieked

''Whoaaa calm down lady'' a husky baritone voice came. Ah something was a someone. A someone who was holding me. I slapped him without thinking.

''Oh!'' I gasped, ''I'm so sorry but you shouldn't have lurked about and scared me''

''Lurked? '' He sneered. Now that we 'd stepped closer to the elevator, I saw he was a red head with a brownish tint. Beefy much? He was really tanned too suggesting he'd either spent alot of time outdoors or with the tanning machine. I pressed the elevator call button and waited for it. I faced this stern-faced murderor-looking red head

''Yeah, Red, lurked y'know? Sneaking about waiting to prey on innocent unsuspecting girls like an axe murderer. Ever seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre?'' I retorted. ''You can't tell me my fears are completely unfounded.''

''Horror fan?'' His face lost some of its steeliness and smirked while sticking out his hand.

''A little, '' I mumbled, stepping into the elevator and bypassing his hand. ''I have a meeting to make if you'll excuse me?''

Red's eyes light up in recognition? He moved to enter but I held out a hand. ''You can take the next one Red. You understand don't you?'' I smiled sweetly as the doors started to close on him.

He scowled, making me all the more sure of my decision to kick him out of my elevator. Scary + handsome- lethal.

''Nathan, not Red.''

''Bye Red~'' I mocked as the doors closed.

Potential murderer crisis averted.

I reached the topmost floor and clicked my way to the conference room I'd been to before. 

''Miss Hayden Waters? Right this way please ''The secretary looked exhausted as she glared at me before knocking on the door.