Chapter 26: Mistake?

Double update!!! :)

Hayden's POV

Dakota had lines of code running across the screen, almost as fast as he was typing. I was bored and was observing Corey and Victor as they worked. I hadn't touched my coffee simply because I didn't like it. I only drank it previously while working in PR because I wouldn't be able to stay upright otherwise. Displays suddenly popped up and I perked slightly, seeing the streets outside of Grounded Kombat. Dakota knew what time we had arrived at the club, so we assumed that Trent had arrived before us, having staked out the place before. It's how he knew that you'd be there and managed to sign himself up for the last fight, Dakota reasoned

I knew he was right and I felt guilty and annoyed that I'd brought the angels right to danger's doorstep. I didn't want anyone to get hurt because of their association to me. Sure, there was the Volto freak and everything, but the Trent incident could've been completely avoided if I wasn't such a fuck-up who needed to fight to keep herself sane.

''Hayden!'' Dakota's annoyed tone filtered into my consciousness.

''Sorry,'' I mumbled, taking the pictures he had just printed from his outstretched arm.

I flipped through them, not recognizing anyone. Wordlessly, Dakota handed me another stack and I barely stifled a groan, getting nasty side-eye from Dakota who was looking exhausted.

I pushed my untouched cup of coffee towards him silently.

After handing me the 50th photo, I snapped. ''I don't fucking recognize anyone. It's fucking pointless'' I groaned

''Calm the attitude right now little demon. I'm not in the mood '' He continued typing.

I bristled. Admittedly, sure, he looked like shit and had been up a good portion of the night, from when the boys had informed the rest that we were at the Rings to now. I would've cut him some slack, but I was highly strung too. Exhausted from my fights, drained from taking a human life, to finding out that there was someone else after the boys and I, and not to mention the guys still keeping secrets from me about their past. So, maybe in different circumstances, I would've let it slide. But not now.

''Not in the mood?! No fucking shit, we're looking for a murderous freak on the loose from your fucking past, which you refuse to share. You guys need only ask, to know my damned past, but I share it, because that's what a relationship entails! But, no, I'm patient and I'll wait for you to share. But, now you're talking to me about attitude? If anything, I'm fucking entitled to my attitude, Mr. Lee, after everything that has happened tonight!'' I snarled standing up, ignoring the slight squeak the motion made.

''You should learn to be fucking grateful we're still with you, after everything that has happened! It's not like you share everything either! I don't even know if we can trust you! Volto coming back, right after you came into our lives?! This was such a mistake'' He growled back.

I recoiled as though I had been struck. He might as well have. That might've hurt less.

''Kota!'' Victor yelled at him angrily ''Take that back right now!''

Dakota seemed to realize what he had said. ''Hayden, baby, I-''

I let out a pathetic whimper. ''It's fine, I u-understand.'' I backed away from them, my  back to the  door. I grabbed a couple of pens quietly from a desk I passed.

''No, I didn't mea-'' Dakota tried

''Yes, yes you did. Every word. You're right, this was a mistake.'' Tears were freely falling down now. I'd never felt more hurt. Not even when Plank betrayed me. And I knew Plank longer than I did these guys. I ran abruptly to the door and shut it behind me, blindly sticking the pens into the keyhole to jam the mechanisms.