Chapter Nine: Bedrest

I sit in the hospital bed hooked to a ton of machines. There's the frantic beating of my heart and the steady beating of the twins hearts.  James is in here with Alice, Tanner and Reagan are here, Emma and Colton, Vanessa and Finn, Zane, and Madison.

I'm so scared. I'm petrified. They can't come out yet. They're safe inside of me!

"Madison, tell me they're going to be able to stop it."

She says nothing.

"What's the worst that can happen?"

She looks at me with sad eyes and I already know the answer.

I turn my head into Zane's shirt and cry.

"Just because that's the worst doesn't mean it's going to happen." She says softly. "They might give you medicine to stop contractions, and then send you home on bed rest."

I look up at Zane and he gives me a small smile.

"Rosie, everything is going to be fine."

I study him, my eyes wandering around the room at the worried eyes.

"Zane." I mumble.

"Yes?"

"I'm scared."

Another contraction starts and I clench Zane's hand. He leans down and kisses the top of my head.

"Me too baby girl, me too."

It lasts for about twenty seconds and then it stops.

Around twenty minutes later, a doctor walks in.

"Where have you been?" I ask coldly.

"Rose." Zane says.

"I was-"

"Probably doing something that could have waited!" I snap. "I'm twenty one weeks pregnant! I can't give birth yet! It's my job as a mother to protect my kids, and it's your job as a doctor to help me! I don't care what you have to do! I'll pay for it! Get me one of those fake uterus' if mine isn't working anymore! I'll pay it! I have a lot of money. I can afford it. Turn them out of the delivery position! Give me pills! Just keep them inside me! I'm not giving birth until they're full term. I refuse."

He looks a little startled, and then he politely kicks out everyone except for Zane and Madison. He checks my cervix.

"You're not dilating or thinning." He says. He removes his gloves and puts on more, and then he lets everyone back in. He pulls my shirt up and does an ultrasound. "And the twins are not in position, see?" He moves the screen and points to my boys, who are still in the same spot they were last week.

"Are you dilating?" Emma asks.

"No." I shake my head at her.

"But you're having contractions." The doctor says. "What did you do today?"

"Um...went to the nail salon, went to get a massage...went shopping, went to the gym to watch..."

"Have you been under any stress lately?"

I snort at that.

Have I been stressed? That is a severe understatement.

I found out my twin is alive. I found out my parents lied. I found out my best friend and my brother have been dating for thirteen years, I found out my ex best friend is very much alive and dating my husbands best friend.

"That is an understatement."

"I'm going to give you some antibiotics to stop the contractions. If they don't stop we'll have a problem, but I'm optimistic that they will stop. I'll keep you overnight for observation, and then you're going on bedrest. No shopping, no walking around, no cooking dinner. Drink a lot of water. You can't have sex, and only leave the house for your prenatal appointments."

"Can I fold laundry?" I ask.

"No." He shakes his head. "You can get up to move to the bed and go to the bathroom. Take a bath instead of a shower and avoid stairs."

"My house is three stories!" I exclaim.

"Do you want your children to be healthy?" He replies.

"Yes." I sigh slowly.

"Then you need to do as I say. I don't want to see you back here until you're thirty seven weeks or later."

_____

This is a really short chapter. I'm sorry, I'm just going to do a time skip :)
~Sam