Chapter Ten: Gasoline

I stare at the date on my lock screen, my fingertips running up and down my belly.

I'm thirty seven weeks and two days pregnant. It's go time. I want the babies out so bad. I'm tired of being locked up on the couch. I feel like a four hundred pound bowling ball. The twins are in position and constantly kicking me in the worst places, and it just hurts. I can see their elbow drag across my belly. They're uncomfortable and so am I.

My midwife said they will come when they're ready, but what if I'm ready?

I look at Zane. "Can we go on a walk?"

"No."

"But I'm ready."

"I know."

I think he's just as ready as I am. I'm miserable all the time and sore all the time. We're both sexually deprived since it's been like four months since we've had sex.

Truthfully though, I'm nervous. What happens if Zane seems me open up like that and he gets revolted at the sight of me? What if I never get my body back? All I want to do is take Tank and go on a jog, but I can't.

The nursery's are all set up, the car seats are in my car, and the hospital bags for all four of us are by the garage door.

I can constantly feel my stomach and back tightening with braxton hicks. The twins are squirming slightly in there but they move less because they're so cramped.

"I'm getting up to walk around."

"Rose," Zane begins.

"Let me do it, Zane!" I stand up.

"Okay." He sighs.

I sigh back at him and start walking around the house. He follows closely behind me, and I go to the bathroom and take a shower even though I'm supposed to take a bath, and I put on panties, sweatpants, a sports bra and a t-shirt.

Zane walks with me around the house. It's already ten something at night.

"We should go to bed." Zane says.

"No." I say.

"Baby girl, you need to rest."

"Zane, I have a feeling about tonight, alright? I'm not going to bed."

"What do you mean you have a feeling?"

"I mean I have a feeling." I say, stepping out into the comfortable August air. I walk down the driveway towards the mailbox and turn down the street.

"What kind of feeling?" He jogs to catch up with me.

I pause when I hear a soft popping sound, and then warmth rushes down my legs.

I watch as the gray sweatpants get darker with liquid.

"My water just broke."

"What?" He asks. I grin at him.

"Looks like we're having twins tonight."

"You're kidding." He says.

And that's when the pain starts. It's subtle at first, and then it's much, much stronger. I keel forward and in seconds he has me in his arms, running for the house. He sets me down on the kitchen counter and disappears, coming back with new panties and new sweatpants, along with his wallet and keys, and my purse. He helps me change and carries me out to the garage, pausing when he sees his truck is parked outside of the door, blocking my car in. I moan in pain and lean against the wall.