Chapter 1: It's On

Mason Steel

Blake and I would sneak off to the playground that's next to the school building for lunch. Once we got there, we both sat on the swings, swaying very slowly, relaxing. I pulled out the deadly stick that's intertwined with my fingers while inserting the end of it in my mouth with the smoke coming out from the other end. My buddy, Blake, inhales the juice inside his pen and exhales the vapor into the air. Smoking helps me deal with stress and my depression. I don't know why Blake vapes.
"So, did you hear about what happened?" Blake asks me.
I looked at him with confusing. But my mouth had a smart remark response. "I don't know what happened unless you tell me", my voice sounded rough and attitude all into one.
"Did you know Jackson and Emily broke up today?"
"You mean, Emily Summers? The hottest, baddest chick in our school? Blonde, big boobs, nice ass, Emily?"
"That's the one!"
"What happened, man?"
"Apparently, they were fighting about something and it escalated to the point where she finally told him that she was only using him. And she broke it off with him."
"Poor dude", the only thoughts came to my mind.
"I'm sure he'll get over the breakup because I'm sure she's already moving on to the next person on her list."
It got quiet for a moment. I finished smoking my cigarette and flicked it somewhere in the far distance. Blake did one last puff before starting another conversation.
"How's your girlfriend, by the way? What's her name again? Umm, shit, what the hell is her name?" Blake snaps his fingers as if that's supposed to help him think clearly or what.
"Hannah?"
"Yeah, Hannah. How's it going?"
"I might end things with her, too." A grin came across my face a bit when I let those words out in the public.
"Why, man? She's totally hot and sexy."
"No reason, really. It's just who I am." And I'm proud of it.
"I bet you can't even keep a relationship for a year." He laughs at that joke he just made.
"Are you challenging me?" I question his challenge.
"Maybe. But, here's the thing. I have to pick the girl for you."
"Alright, fine. Who is she?"
"I don't know yet. But I'll find someone."
"Okay."
"Here are the rules: #1 you make her fall in love with you. #2 you have to do the dirty with her and have proof. #3 you break her heart. You have to keep this relationship for a year. If you fall in love with her, it's all over.
"It's on." I shook my hand out for Blake to shake. Game on.
Lunch was ending soon so we both got up from the swings and headed back to the school. It sucks that I have science next but Blake and I sit next to each other. Fifteen minutes later, the door opens up. A girl walks in. The quiet one. The one that sits in front of the class all by herself. The girl that doesn't socialize with anyone. Her brown hair curtains her shoulders in front of her body. She holds her books close to her chest and her entrance made the whole class staring at her.
"You're late", Ms. Marshall announced.
"I know. I know", she starts to stutter. "I-I have the, um, pass from the office." She hands the note to the teacher who briefly looks over at it.
"Very well, then." She turned her focus back on the board, writing down notes that should be copied down into my notebook. Guess again.
"Psst, yo, Mason", Blake starts whispering, hoping we don't get caught talking during class. But why do I care if we or I get in trouble, right?
"That's the girl I want you to be with."
"The girl that just walked in?"
"Yup. Take it or leave it." That was Blake's last warning.
"Fine", I silently huffed and puffed in anger. No one likes her in this school and I don't know why but I know people say some bad shit about her.
Class finally ended. I got up from my seat, pushing my way through in between the tables so I can get the hell out of this room. She walked ahead of me and was going the same direction I was planning on going for my next class. Well, it's study hall so it's a free period for me. Turns out, she was going to the study hall room. By the time the bell rang, she asked the study hall teacher if she can go somewhere. He signed the pass and walked out. I walked out the door right behind her.
"And where do you think you're going, mister?" The teacher stopping me.
"I forgot that she's my partner in this science project we have to do. I got to go." I sped up my pace to go follow her.
She turned around to know that I'm catching up with her. She tried to speed up but I caught up with her, walking next to her.
"We don't have a science project to do." She snarled at me.
"I know that. Where are you going anyway?" I asked.
"To the library."
"Why? It's so quiet in there with lots of boring books in there."
"Good. If it's quiet, that means you can stop talking to me and I don't have to hear from you."
"Is it that bad that a guy wants to get to know a girl?" I said in my charming voice.
"No. Unless you're a bad boy and is looking for trouble which is you, in case you didn't notice that insult, then, yes."
"Come on. Give me a chance."
"Never."
"Whatever I'm heading back."
"Well, it's about time you left me alone." She broadcasted the news out loud
"I'm not done talking to you." I protested to her.
"I'm done talking to you." She walks in the library with the door closing behind her.
"This is going to be a lot harder than I thought", I told myself as I made my way back to the study hall room.