Chapter 18: Tonight Is The Night

Alexis Winter

Tonight is the night where I go with Mason and his stupid friends to a club and I'm not fit to go into clubs. What do people do at clubs? Why am I going? I get it, it's his birthday but just because he did something for me on my birthday (which I told him he didn't have to do anything) doesn't mean I should, right? Whatever, my mom thinks it's a fantastic idea that I'm getting out; that Mason is taking me out and spending time with me.

My phone vibrated on the kitchen countertop and I hesitated to even answer but my mom told me to pick it up. I made a face at her before sliding the green bar across my phone and placed it on my ear. "Hello?"

"Hey beautiful."

"How do you know I'm beautiful if you didn't see me today?"

"Alexis!" My mom called out. "Stop being so hard on the boy!" Mason chuckled from the other end. Great! He heard my mother.

"Thanks a lot, mother. He heard that and now he's laughing at your words."

"Good." I heard her say before walking away.

"Did you say something, Mason?"

"Easy girl, I'm just letting you know that I'm picking you up around eight. Don't wear your regular school clothes. It's a club."

"Thank you, Captain Obvious. I'm aware that you want to spend your birthday at a club."

"Damn girl. I got to loosen you up tonight."

"Excuse me?" I heard him say something but he said it so low, I couldn't quite make out what he just said on the call.

"Nothing. I'll text you when I get there."

"K." I hung up the phone before he said something else. My mom walked back to the kitchen and she crosses her arms at me, looking at me. "Yes?" I noticed her presence, standing there.

"Aren't you going to get ready?"

"Are you excited to kick me out of the house?"

"No, honey. Of course not. Listen", she sits down next to me, resting her hand on my back. "I think you have more feelings than liking Mason."

"No I don't."

"Yes you do, that's why you're playing hard to get with him. He sees something different in you and I think that's a good thing. Maybe he is trying to change for the better."

"Are you on my side or his side?" I folded my arms together.

"No one's side. I'm on my own side. But, sweetie, be honest with me. Are you scared he's going to find out the real you?"

I got quiet, in thinking what is it exactly that I'm afraid of. "Kind of", I shyly said.

"Are you nervous he's going to leave you?"

"Mom, I'm scared he'll run away if he founds out that I suffer with depression and anxiety. I'm afraid that he'll see my arms and think I'm a freak. I don't want him to know I'm afraid to love someone because of what Dad did to you." My eyes stared down at my feet that's kicking the legs of the chair that I'm sitting on.

"Alexis, what your father did was very wrong. Sometimes, I wonder why he cheated on me and some days I could care less because I found someone better. I know you imagine this picture perfect family but life isn't all that perfect. I know that because of your father cheating, you have a fear that someone or even Mason may cheat on you but my past shouldn't reflect on your life. Maybe this was a sign that someone who may be heartless could learn to love and having you teach that can impact his life to become a better person. He's had a rough life growing up with his dad. I'm not discussing that with you until he tells you himself but, you have to be honest with him. If he really doesn't love the real you, than he is not the one for you. Do you understand?"