Chapter 21: Where Is She?

Mason Steele

         "Guys, have you seen her?" I asked all my friends while I'm searching for Lexi. 

          "Dude, who are you looking for? Calm down." Blake tells me. 

         "Don't tell me to calm down!" I shouted at him. Blake held his hands up to surrender himself. 

       "What's going on?" Drew walks in on the fight and gets in the middle of Blake and I. 

         "I fucked up. I probably lost her now. It's all over. And I can't find her now and..." I kept talking and talking, not making any sense now. 

         "Breathe, Mason. You'll get through this. Just breathe." Drew says. 

         "Yeah. I'm sure she's here somewhere." Blake points out. 

        I kept breathing in and out; trying to steady my breathing. The bell rang and while I'm not in the mood to go to class now, Blake patted me on the back and guided me with him to go with him to class. When I got to the classroom, I couldn't even lift my head to look in front of me. 

     "Mason?" A lady kept calling my name out. Blake nudged me with his elbow. "Huh?" I shook my head to wake myself up. "What happened?" The room started to giggle and I let it brush off my shoulders. 

     "Mason, the office called and wants you to go over there." My head was spinning and I have no idea what's happening but I know I've been trying to stay out of trouble. I shoved everything in my backpack, zipped it up, and pull the straps to my shoulders. I got up from my chair and. walked out of the classroom. 

     When I finally made my way to the office, I saw Alexis's mom, waiting nervously. Something doesn't seem right. "Everything okay?" I asked her with concern. 

     "No, Mason. Your mom gave me permission to pull you out of school but come on, let's go." She started walking out the door and exiting the school building. "Where are we going?" I asked her while following behind her. 

      "The hospital." She told me. 

       "Why are we, uh, going there?" I stuttered asking her. 

        "I'll tell you everything when we get there."

         "What happened to Lexi?" I cried out, asking her. 

           The drive felt slow. I kept looking at the window, holding my stomach, wondering about all the possibilities that's happening right now. What happened to Lexi? When did this all happened? Only time will tell.