Chapter 20: Time For Some Space

Alexis Winter

After I saw what happened between Mason and that girl, I had streams of tears coming down from my eyes and I wiped them away with my sleeves. I ended up running away outside somewhere and called my mom, crying over the phone. 

 "Sweetie, is everything okay?" 

 "Mom, can you- you pick me up. Please. I want to go home", I coughed a bit from crying so much and I'm trying to steady my breathing. 

 "Okay, honey, John and I will be there soon." 

 "Okay." I hung up the phone and waiting by the bathroom to wash my face. I saw my makeup running with black raccoon eyes and my nose red. I splashed some cold water on my face and tied my hair up in a low ponytail. After wetting my face, my phone alerted me; letting me know that my mom texted saying that she was parked out in the front. I dried my hands and face, disposing the tissue in the trash and walked outside. "Hey, um, Lexi." I heard one of Mason's friends calling me but I kept on walking. 

 "Lexi!" I heard my name called out again before he was standing in front of me. 

"What?" I said in a nasty way. 

"Where are you going? I can drive you home in Mason's car."

"No, thank you. I don't want you or Mason or anyone helping me." I walked around him and continue to walk out the door. I saw my mom's husband's grey van parked by the entrance with the beam lights on and the radio playing music. I opened the door and went inside, strapped my seatbelt on and shut the door so he can drive. The drive was silenced for a while until I heard the radio go down low and my mom cleared her voice. "What happened Lexi." 

"I went to grab a soda and then I met some interesting girls so I was talking with them and by the time I went to head back to Mason, this girl was seducing him and they were both kissing each other."

"Oh dear", I heard my mother say. 

"Was he drinking, do you know?" I heard John (my mom's husband) ask. 

"She wouldn't know that. Alexis was meeting new friends." My mom reassured him. 

"Right. Sorry I'm trying to be involved but I'm driving." 

"It's okay. Just focus on driving." He turned his head and gave me a quick nod, agreeing with me before he was fully engaged with looking at the roads and other cars. 

"Maybe he has a good explanation for it." My mom suggests a theory. 

"It doesn't matter, Mom. He betrayed my trust and on top of that, he cheated on me." 

"Give it a few days and maybe things will get better, eventually." 

"I'll think about it. Right now, I just want to snuggle up in my bed." 

"We'll be home in a little while." 

About a half hour later, the car was parked in the garage. I jumped out quickly and waited for the door to be unlock so I can change my clothes, throw on some pjs, and watch some Netflix. I turned off my light before climbing into bed, pulled my laptop out from being inside my nightstand draw, and put on a movie to watch. I saw my phone moving against the nightstand from it vibrating and I looked to see who it was. One look and I pushed my lock button down to decline the call. I resume to what I was watching and my phone lit up again and again. I kept ignoring my phone because I just need space for myself. 

A knocking noise was made when I noticed my stepfather was standing by the door frame. I motioned my hand for him to come in and I paused my movie. I moved my laptop to the side, next to me on my bed and John sat down next to me. 

"How are you doing, Lexi?" He asks me. 

"I'm okay. I'm just watching a movie." My phone made a noise and he looked over to see that someone was getting in contact with me. "Mason left you a voicemail." 

"Okay and I'm not going to listen to it now." 

"I'm not saying you should. Listen, boys don't get it the first time. It takes them decades to finally get it to register. Your mom talked to me about what happened with you growing up in the past and about your fears. I totally understand why you never got along with me but I'm not going to hurt you. I want to be here for you and I want to be a part of your life. I know you're not my own, but I'll love you like a father." 

"Thanks. It means a lot. I told mom I will try harder to change my behavior around you." 

"I'm not in a rush if you still need to get used to me being here or for trying to compromise with you. Take all the time you need especially what happened after tonight. And I understand you are suffering with your mental thoughts but if there's something you can't tell mom, you can count on me. Maybe you, Austin and I can go have fun somewhere like an arcade or go watch a new movie that's coming out." 

I smiled at him for being so cool and understanding with me. If only I didn't judge so quickly, maybe him and I could've had a close bond but I'm so stubborn and let my thoughts overcome my life, it took away everything that was given to me in life. You know what they say, it's better late than nothing. "Yeah, I would like that. One day, can we?" 

He returned my smile, knowing that we are on the same page. "Yes we can. Just let me know the time and place." 

I lifted my thumb up and gave him a thumbs up. "You got it." He leaned over to me and hugged me, rubbing my back to comfort me. After our hug exchange, he got up from my bed, stopped by my door and turned around. "Do you want me to get you anything?" 

"No, thank you." 

"Okay. Goodnight." 

"Goodnight." The door was left cracked open a bit and I went back to watching my movie. I felt sleepy after a while and at some point during the night, I fell asleep.