Chapter 8: The Dance

Mason Steele

Tonight is the night of the dance. Tonight is the night that I'm asking Lexi Winters to be my "girlfriend." Now I have to make sure she starts to fall in love with me after that. Am I nervous? Hell no. I made her blush before and she smiled at me when I offered her a ride home the other day so she can tutor me. I'm heading home now since I didn't feel like staying in study hall today.

When I went home, I texted Lexi from my phone. Yes, we exchanged numbers at one point in case we have to get in contact with each other because of the whole tutoring thing. I sent a simple message, hoping she would reply at some point. Just as I walked in the door, my phone started to vibrate in my pocket. I shut the door behind me, tossed my keys on the glass holder that sits alone in my kitchen counter, and lifted my phone up from my pocket to read the text while I grab a soda can from the fridge.

"Hi", she simply answers me back.

"What's sup," I'm trying to keep the conversation not awkward and as simple as I can make it.

"Homework. What are you up to?" I guess she wants the conversation to have a flow as well.

"Drinking soda." I texted back.

"Interesting." Lexi wrote back.

"Listen, I texted you to ask you a question." I'm cutting down to the chase here.

"No, I will not tutor you today because the dance is tonight."

I slammed my hand on top of the counter, dealing with the pain that's tingling all over my hand and around the palm of it, too. "I wasn't going to ask you about tutoring me. I was going to ask you about the dance."

"Oh." Oh? That's all I get is an 'oh'?

"Anyway, what color is your dress?" I asked her.

"Why?" She sounds like she's scared that I have an evil plan that's crawled up my sleeve. At least that's what I'm interpreting through the message.

"Because maybe I wanted to match my outfit with yours. Is that a problem/"

"No. No, it's fine. Um, black."

I can tell she's nervous about the dance or the fact she has no idea what's coming for her in about a few hours. "Okay cool."

When I thought the conversation is over, she sent me another text which seems like the last message to swap before finalizing this conversation.

"My mom said that you and your mom are more than welcome to come over for a pre-party. She wants to take pictures and see us go together. For some reason, she's fond of you. I don't see it but..."

"Your mom thinks I'm charming. Just like the rest of the girls", I even put in a smirk face in the message.

"Ugh", was the last thing she texted me before I heard the door open and saw my mom walking in.

"Mom?" I shouted.

"Yeah, Mason?"

"Nothing, just wanted to make sure it was you."

"Well would a boogie man have the key to the place?" My mom jokes with me while placing packages on the table.

"No. Oh, by the way, do you know someone who you work with and has two kids, a husband or guy figure in her life?" I stopped there hoping it would ring a bell for her.

"I know a lady who has two kids. Do you know the name of her children?"

"Alexis Winter and a boy name Austin."

"Oh, yeah. I do know her! Why? Did she say anything about me?"

"No. Remember when I said that there's this nerd girl in my class who is tutoring me? It's her mother and tonight is the dance so she said you and I are welcomed to come over there before we head on out to the dance."

"Sure, honey. I would love to get to know her mom more instead of always talking in the office. The office can be so loud and busy, I can't even have personal conversations with her without word spreading around."

"We can leave here at six."

"Wait, are you and her daughter dating?"

"Not yet." I smiled to that response. Why did I smile about that?

"Awwh, sweetie. Finally a good girl in your life. She may sound like she is the one."

"Mom, please. I'm only dating her, not proposing to her."

She cleared her throat. "Sorry. Of course you're not. You're only a junior in high school."

"Exactly."

"You never mentioned to me about this girl before?" My mom questions me as if she knows every single, little bit of details of my life.

"I just met her a few weeks ago. Coach told me I better bring up my grades in order to play baseball and she's really smart in the class."

"Do not, let me repeat, Do not hurt her in any way and do not use her in any way. Her mom talks about her children all the time and she sounds like a lovely, independent lady."

"I thought you never talk to her mom while you're working? You know, those personal conversations?"

"Don't you have a dance to get ready for?" My mom asks a question on top of my question, dancing around it.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah", I waved my hand away from behind my back while I walk to the bathroom, started the shower so it warms up, undressed myself, and hopped in the shower. The water felt so refreshing and so warm, I could stay in here forever. If only that was a possibility. I placed my hands on my forehead, moving the water back to get my hair wet, in frustrated into being in the what could be the best of both worlds, but maybe, the worst of both worlds. How can I win this bet and listen to my mom when she sounded so serious about her talk with me? If I haven't said that she will be the death of me, then, I will repeat. Alexis Winter will be the death of me.