Chapter 5: No More Tutoring... For Today

Alexis Winter

    I can't believe my mom would let the bad boy stay over for dinner. Stupid date night. Why is that even a thing? After Mason and I told my mom what we wanted to eat for dinner, Austin calls me over to play with him. "You can make yourself comfortable, I guess, by sitting on our couch. Heck, why don't you take over our TV?" I would make a great host for a house party.

      "Alexis! That's not how you speak to our guest. I'm sorry for her attitude, Mason." My mom is defending him! What is happening to me?

      "No worries. I've been getting that attitude all day from her." I saw he rolled his eyes at me and I wish I could just hurt him. Mason is acting like a completely different person. This is not the Mason I know. Mason is trouble with a capital T, remember? Boy, I must be overthinking about this. I sat criss cross applesauce on the floor in front of my brother while he handed me toys and tells me what to do. On the other hand, I could be binge watching Netflix on the couch in front of the TV. But, no, Mason gets to make himself at home. In my home.

         "Okay, kids, dinner will be here in about twenty minutes. Cash is on the counter for the delivery guy. Austin, you listen to your big sister, okay?" My mom parents her son.

          "Okay, mommy."

           "Come here, Austin. Give daddy a hug." His dad bends down to reach his son's height, opening his arms wide enough for him to run over there and give each other a hug. I just simply told my mom "bye", without even saying anything to her boyfriend. Yeah, that's right. They're not even married and they had my little brother. You're probably wondering what happened to my dad. My real dad. Maybe I'll tell you that story another time but right now, I have to babysit my brother and Mason.

             "Bye, Alexis." Austin's father said to me. I didn't say anything while Austin is lecturing me that I'm playing with his toys the wrong way. I turn my head over my shoulder to see the disappointment written all over his face when I didn't say anything back. Maybe, I have the same disappointment look written all over my face when I took a good look at the two of them before focusing my attention back on my brother.

              "Don't worry, she'll warm up to you, honey," I heard my voice quietly telling her boyfriend. I can hear her comforting him by rubbing her hand up and down on his jacket. I can hear her heels clicking on the hardwood floor before saying her goodbyes and what time they will be planning on coming home. The door got locked and shut as they left to go out together.

               "Lexi?" I heard my brother talking to me.

                "Yes, little brother?" I start talking sweetly to him while Mason keeps channel surfing. I couldn't help but look at the view real quick. His one arm behind his hand while the other arm was sticking out for the remote to be in contact with the cable box, legs slanted over on the couch, feet touching the ground, his shirt is slightly lifted up with his skin showing, jeans just by the waist. I think it kind of looks hot that way. What am I saying? Who am I?

                  My attention was back on Austin when he started to ask me some serious questions . "Does our mommy love my daddy?" His eyes are narrowed down on his toys, slowly moving it side to side.

                  "I think your daddy really loves our mommy. Why?" I asked him, wondering what his next response is going to be.

                  "Do they hate me?" I saw tears coming down and landed on his clothes.

                 "No way, little bro. They both love you very much." I grabbed him closer to me , sitting him on my lap, hugging him. I soothed him by rubbing my hand up and down on his back, even scratching him lightly to comfort him.