Chapter 14: My Birthday

Alexis Winter
Today is my birthday. I'm finally seventeen years old. Not that it makes a difference because I'm still here. Today is just another day.
       I decided to walk downstairs so I can grab something to eat. "Good morning, Lexi. Happy birthday," I heard my mother telling me while she sips her coffee.
      "Morning," I muttered.
     "Lexi!" I heard my brother running from around the corner somewhere in the house, giving me a hug. "Happy birthday", he said to me while handing me a homemade card he made just for me.
      "Thanks, Austin." I knelt down to his level and hugged him for a bit.
      "By the way, Mason is coming over today." My mother didn't look at me when she said those words out of her mouth. Instead, she licks her finger with her tongue so she can easily turn the pages in the magazine she's reading.   
      "What?"
      "Yeah, I figure you could go out and do something nice with him since it is a special day for you."
       "It's not that important, Mom." I went around the dining room table which is the room she's sitting in and went searching in the fridge.
        "Yes it is, honey. You're turning seventeen today. One more year until you spread your wings and fly."
         "I'm pretty sure when and if I go to college, it'll be the same as it is here. Boring and lonely."
         "Austin, why don't you go see if you could wake up Daddy for me, okay?"
          "Okay." His face lights up as he sets his toys down on the floor and runs up the stairs to my mom's room.
           "Are you okay, Alexis? You haven't been yourself lately and I can tell something is wrong."
            "Nothing's wrong."
             "Are you sure? Do you want to talk to a therapist or someone else in the family?"
              "No."
                My mom stumbled something under her breath when she was talking to herself and I know it was Mason because I heard that name crystal clear.
                Speaking of Mason. The doorbell rang and my mom quickly got up from her seat and answered the door. I heard my mom's tone of voice; happy and thrilled that someone my age can associate with me.  Both my mom and Mason come walking into the kitchen today.
              "Hey Lexi." I looked up at him when I saw him standing in front of me from across the table. I took a few bites of my cereal and a sip of orange juice before answering. "Hi, Mason," I forcefully said while finishing swallowing the little chunks in my mouth.
          Mason and my mom kept looking back and forth between me and each other. I saw my mom resting her hand on his shoulder, leaving it there while she's telling him something which I couldn't make because she was whispering it to him before walking away, leaving the two of us alone.
          "So what do you want to do?" Mason asks me, trying to come up with something to do today.
            I shrugged my shoulders, not really paying attention to him. "I don't know."
             "Well it's your birthday so let's go cheer you up."
               I looked at him with wonder; wondering how the hell he knows my birthday. "How do you know that?"
                "My mom was looking through old photos and she found a picture of us chasing after each other during your birthday party. It was from like twelve years ago, maybe. But the date on the picture was inked on the back."
I think I remember that picture. My mom has one in my scrapbook she made me. The life of Lexi scrapbook. It was around twelve years ago. I was turning five at the time. My family and family friends came over to celebrate my birthday. Of course my mom must've known Mason's mom since she's been working at her job for many years know. I think she told me it was around fourteen years. Anyway, her and my mom are like best friends in the office. Or mutual now. Mason took one of my toys away because he was really impatient and wanted play with the toy now and keep it all to himself. I got up from sitting on the floor and yelled out something to him. I really wanted my toy back so I had to chase him around in order to get my toy back. I got it back eventually before realizing I didn't want to play with it because I'll never forget what he told me. "No one will ever like you."
                I crossed my arms out at him, giving him the look. The look where people confess after you stare at them for too long. "What if that date was from the birthday party and not my actual birthday?"
  "Either way, it's your birthday, right?" Mason crossed his arms and looked at me.
"Are you mocking me?" My eyes went up and down on his body and gestures. How am I liking this guy? More importantly, how the hell am I with him?
  "Come on, babe. Let's go." Mason took a hold of my hands, lifting me up from my seat and head on over to the door. "Bye Alexis's mom. We'll be back later." I quickly grab the closest jacket I could get a hold of on the coat rack and looped it on the crook of my arm.
  "Where are you taking me? I don't want to do anything for my birthday. Will you just take me back inside and let me—," and by the time we got to his car, he turned around, leaning his back behind the passenger car, pulling me close, and grabbed my cheeks to kiss me.
  "Loosen up, baby. I'm not going to hurt you." He gives me a peck on the cheek before opening the door for me to get in. I lowered myself down and settled in. The car door got shut while Mason comes around the car and settling down himself and began to start the car. The radio was blasting with music that I don't listen to. He reached over the button to push it down and lowered the volume of the music. I kept what he said to me in my head. "I'm not going to hurt you." He's still a bad boy to me. I doubt he's too good to be true even if he could be a decent enough boyfriend or friend; maybe enough to be human.

And we took off. I leaned my head on the cold glass and stare out the window. I see blurs of cars passing by and we continue on moving. "Where are we going?" I lifted my head to see him turning the wheel onto some street I'm not familiar with.

"Somewhere." He tells me. His eyes sparkles with the sunlight reflecting into them. His sight doesn't change since his focus is on the road and driving. From this angle, I never realize how amazing his eye color is. The nice blue and grey mixed into it. I could stare at it all day if I wanted to. Did I really just say that?

The car started to slow down as he makes one more turn and parks the car in a parking lot. "Um, where are we?" We both unbuckled our seat belts and got out of the car.

"At a restaurant." He locked the car and I followed him to the direction of the place. We got there and got ourselves a table right away. "How did we get a table so quickly?"

"I know a guy." He smiles at me as we began to walk behind the hostess and sat down at a restaurant. He handed us the menus and ordered our drinks for us. When he left Mason and I alone, it really was just Mason and I together. Alone.

"Have you been here before?" Mason asked me as he closed the menu and puts it down in front of him.

"No." My eyes were roaming through the menu options.

"Did I do something wrong?" I put the menu down when I heard him ask me that question. He feels guilt?

"No. Why are you asking me that?" The drinks were put out on the table and I took a sip from my drink, waiting for his answer.

"Because I'm trying, okay? I'm trying to be a good person towards you and I feel like I'm failing to ever show you I'm not just a bad boy like you think I am."

"Okay. I see you trying but if you think I'm acting rude towards you because I'm not. I just have doubts and thoughts in my mind and it makes it harder on me to actually believe in anything. Especially in this world."

"Why? What happened?" I can see the eyes glistening with some sparkles.

"I don't want to talk about it." I continue to sip on my drink and just a few minutes later, the food was ready.
                 "We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."
                  Mason and I finished eating our meal. Surprisingly, I didn't think he was going to pay for it but he took his wallet out from his back pocket and placed the money inside the envelope. We left the restaurant and Mason decided to take me somewhere.
                  "Where are you taking me?" I asked him when I opened the car door and sat down on the cold, leather seat.
                   "Somewhere fun. You need to loosen up."
                   "I am loosen up." I crossed my arms and made a smart remark.
                    "Apparently not. You keep getting mad and it's cute, babe. But you need to have fun."
                    "I am fun!" I proclaimed.
                    "Not when you're with me. But that's okay, you'll get used to me."
                     "That's what I'm afraid of." I mumbled to myself.