Chapter 3: Time To Start The Bet

Mason Steele

I lifted my phone up to my ear after I dialed for Blake's number. Several rings later and he finally picks up his damn phone.

"Yo, what's sup?"

"Meet me at the park in ten minutes", I ordered him to follow my directions.

"Why? What's going on, man?" Blake sounds a bit worried now.

"Just do as I say, alright?" I hung up the phone before I even gave him a chance to respond back. I hopped into my black BMW that I drove to school with and headed for the park.

About five minutes later, I sat on the swing, starting to light up my cigarette. I heard crunching noises and the sounds were getting closer and closer. I stared at the feet that were walking towards my direction only to lift my eyes up and see it's Blake making all that noise. He gave me bro handshake before taking the swing next to me, holding onto the chains before the conversation got serious. "So, what's up, man?"

"I think this bet is not going to work." I puffed out the smoke, releasing it in the air.

"What makes you say that?" Blake asking, curious as to where this conversation is taking place.

"I told her that I needed to be tutor so I can play baseball this spring and not only do I have to play your bet but I have to not break her deals she made with me."

"What deals did she ask you?"

"Well, I already broke one. Not telling anyone about it. Which means if you tell anyone else about this deal between her and I, you're going down first." I raised my voice at him making sure he is clear on that.

"Your secret is safe with me. What's the other deal?"

"To not fall in love with her." My voice was low and sounded disappointing because how can I win this bet and keep the deal I made with Lexi?

"Aw, shit, man. How are you able to do this?"

"I don't know, Blake, but I'm going to win both ways. Mason Steele is not a quitter!" I threw the cigarette on the floor in front of me, squashing it into pieces with my foot.

"Actually," I just thought about this. "The deal we made was that part of it was that I have to keep the relationship for a year. Not fall in love with her. I just have to keep up with the act as her "boyfriend.""

"Yeah, and the other part of the bet was you have to do the other thing with her."

"Okay, so just because I have to do it with her, doesn't mean I have to fall in love with her to do that. It'll be like how I am when I hook up with other girls."

"But what if she wants you to fall in love with her so she can be okay with you doing it with her?"

"I'll just pretend I feel the same way as she does and BAM!" I clapped my hands together, loudly, "I'll break up with her when the year is over."

"You are brilliant, my brother!" Blake taps me on the shoulder.

I returned the shoulder tapping back at him, getting up from my seat while releasing my hand from his shoulder.

"Dude, where are you going?"

"I have to start my tutor session today."

"Gotcha. See you later, man."

I walked away from the playground and started to make my way over to Lexi's house. "How the hell am I going to pull this off?" I asked myself, behind the wheel. The car still parked in the spot at the parking lot. "She's going to drive me fucking crazy." I let that confession out of my system before starting the engine up and pulled out from the lot, heading straight to her house.

Ten minutes later, I pulled up to the curb on her street, sitting still in the car before approaching to her doorstep. I let out a long breathe to calm my nerves down before beginning the bet between Blake and I. "Okay, here goes nothing." I told myself before turning off the car, locking the doors up, and walking up to her front step. I knocked on the door a couple of times so she knows I made it here.

I can hear footsteps running around and shouting so I know she must be home. Maybe she has other company over? I don't know. But I heard the locks unlocking and I see the doorknob is twisting with the door opening. "Hi", I said to her.

"Hi", she says back. "Ready to start your lesson?"

"Yes I am", I said with a plaster grin on my face. She looks at me with disgust and curiosity. Lexi opens the door a little bit more so I can walk into her home so I can start this bet already. Too bad she has no idea what's she's in for.