Chapter 11: I Knew He Was No Good

Alexis Winter
      I sat down on the bleachers ever since Mason and I walked in here together. Mason got taken away from me because of his idiotic friends. All this time, I've waited and waited for him to come back and be here with me. But why should I care? I'm not his and he's not mine. Besides, I guess it's too good to be true. I'm not but a complete loner. The thoughts came conquering my mind, battling between knowing the truth and overthinking. Before the water works were about to come down from my eyes and land on the floor, not caring where his friends are hanging out, I walked out of the gym, a sad look could easily be read on my face when one of the teachers stopped me before entering the restroom.
        "Hey, are you okay, hun?" One of the nice, teacher lady asks me.
       "Yeah", I sniffled before opening the door to the bathroom. I went over to the sink and lightly splashed myself with cold water and wiped my nose with a paper towel from the dispenser. I carefully, dried off my face from where the water was splash, trying not to take off my makeup. Staring at my own reflection, I couldn't imagine me looking like this all day. "Am I beautiful?" I talked to my own reflection. Of course, my reflection is only going to repeat after me. While beating  myself down with horrible thoughts about that; you can thank my depression taking over my mind. I heard chattering and it doesn't sound like only two people are talking outside in the hallway. Who else could the two teachers be talking to?
      "Oh yeah", I heard the teacher saying. "She went to the bathroom. She looks upset." I was more than upset. I felt crush by someone I might actually have a crush on. I felt lonely back at the gym, I wasn't having any fun, and I don't have any friends to be enjoying the dance with. Mason is not really my friend. He's just some long lost friend who finally reconnected after seeing each other in school. Why is high school a thing?
        A knock on the door made me jump, interrupting the thoughts in my head. I screeched a bit and luckily no one else was in the bathroom with me.
        "Lexi, you in there?" I heard a boy's voice. Was it Mason?
        "Go away!" I shouted back. My voice sounds like someone who cried wolf but instead
I'm crying over a stupid boy. A stupid, stupid boy.
       "Lexi," I can hear the cry in his voice,  too. I think this is all baloney. "Please come out from the bathroom."
      I'm making a quick phone call to my mom real quick, hopefully, Mason can't hear my conversation.
      "Hello?" She answered. Hallelujah.
     "Mom, can you please pick me up. I- I don't feel so well." I hope she bought this lie.
       "Honey, you were fine all day today. You're not sick." Damnit. Stupid mother instincts. "I think you just want to go home."
       "Please pick me up, Mom."
     "You've only been at the dance for an hour. It's not over for another few more hours."
        "Mom", I whined.
       "If I hear from you again, I will come pick you up, okay?"
         "Okay", I sighed and hung up the phone before she had a second to say something else. I kept on breathing in and breathing out. Here we go. I walked out of the bathroom, seeing it was Mason that was talking to me through the door.

        "Hey, Lexi, you okay? I went to go find you and you weren't at the gym." I lifted my eyes up to see his. I can't tell if he's being serious or if this is a joke. He did come all the way over here to find me.
"I'm fine." I demanded before walking away from him. I felt a tug; Mason is holding me back.
"Leave me alone, Mason. I just said I was fine. Go back to your boy group and just let me be." His fingers were entangling with mine and my eyes are locked with the sight of our hands being clasped together. "Come with me." His tone was soft and it sounded like an angel. Can a bad boy act like a nice boy after all? Or am I just having a bad night? His eyes locked on mine but I couldn't dare to look at him. I know he's still a bad boy with bad intentions and was not the same Mason I knew when I was a little girl. Sure, he made fun of me and still probably does and sure, he thinks I'm an ugly nerd like the rest of the school population does. Maybe all of this is just to try and prove he can be a friend after all? I kept thinking and thinking before I could even say something to him. He insisted on walking away with me and he took me outside.
"Why are we outside? Are you embarrassed to see me? I could just go home, you know. If you didn't want me here, you could've just—," and I stopped talking when I saw this view. It's a lot prettier seeing it at nighttime instead of during the day when school is in session. The waterfall fountain placed behind the school building, in a small grass area where there's a bench to sit by, filled with other outdoor decor. It's right before you enter the football field and other athletic area. The sound of water is my favorite sound. The twinkling lights are fluttering every so often from the gym flashing color strobes. "Mason, this is nice and all but I'm cold and I really, really, just want to, um-," and before you know it, I was not shivering anymore. The fall weather is approaching quickly than the weatherman predicted because it's freezing outside. Mason gave me his top layer of clothing and hung it around my shoulders and I didn't want to or even expect this gesture but I accepted it anyway while I pulled the jacket closer to me. I inhaled his scent and I can't believe I'm saying this but it's my new favorite scent.
"Lexi, there's something I wanted to ask you and I hope you won't hate me for it." My eyes opened up more. I'm shocked to ever hear those words from him. What could he possibly tell me that he has to bring me out on this windy night when I could be at warm inside the building.
"Just spit it out already." I'm back to my old self again. There's the Lexi we all know.
"Listen, I like you, alright? There I said it," Mason confessed. The bad boy has feelings? The bad boys has feelings for me? Wait, the bad boy has feelings for me? The thought kept playing over and over again like a broken record.
"Why?" Maybe that thought should've been pushed in the back of my head. I turned my head back, facing the building when I felt my head being shifted back towards him. Mason made sure I had straight eye contact with him when he started to speak.
"You're smart, you're pretty, and I think we get along pretty good. I liked you for a while but you were right, I did changed growing up and I hope I could make that up to you.
"Really?" My mouth was quivering and I sounded like I was going to break in and cry. No guy, correction, no one has ever said anything nice to me about me since like... never.
"Yes." He's looking straight at me. Is this how you know bad boys are telling the truth? "So," he speaks again, looking at me straight in the eyes, "Will you be my girlfriend?" This is the question I might hate him for. I couldn't even say anything when he stepped closer to me, placed his one hand on the side of my neck right by my jawline, and kissed me. For a "special" occasion or for at least, how the scenery took place, this is how I imagined my first kiss. Like the ones in romance books and fairy tale, happily ever after movies. Not the way it happened the first time with Mason. Definitely not where I wanted it to happen. Never wanted it to go that way or make it that awkward. But I definitely didn't want him to be my first kiss. Here he is, kissing me before I even had to put in my two cents but I was swept up in the moment, I hopelessly said, "Yes", because there's something about him that's making me drawn to him yet I'm scared to get hurt by a boy again. I'm scared that I'll like the bad boy and I know I'll never be good enough for him because I'm not his type. Because for some reason, I felt something with him and maybe he felt something with me.
I'm officially with Mason Steele, also known as, the bad boy's girlfriend.