Chapter 17: Party Planning

Mason Steele

I sat down next to my girlfriend at lunch today. People were probably staring and some people probably just didn't care. Lexi probably doesn't care as well. Lexi looked up from me before she decided to scroll something on her phone.

"Guess what?" I got excited to tell her.

"What?" She's mocking the way I'm getting excited to tell her something.

"You know my birthday is coming up, right?"

"No. Because you decided to tell me last minute but go on." I saw her rolling her eyes at me but I ignored that and continued.

"Well, anyway, my friends and I know a guy that can get us into a club and I want you to come with me. Spend my birthday with me at a club."

"I don't know", she says suspiciously. "I don't do clubs and besides, why?"

"Why what?" I asked her, confused in my tone.

"If your friends are hooking you up to go somewhere on your birthday, then why do you want me to come?"

"Because you're my girlfriend."

I saw the eye roll thing where she stares down at me, trying to make me confess more because the look burns my eyes.

"Because I want to include things with you."

"That's the best you got?"

"Because I love you." The lunch table where we are sitting at got quiet. It took her a while to say something. After waiting to see if she was going to say something, I brought up another statement. "Now will be a good time to tell me something."

Her eyes repleted with fear and worry in her brown eyes. Her facial expression tells me that she was shocked to hear that and was not expected for me to even say those words to her. Lexi decided to part open her mouth and said, "I told you to not fall in love with me." I touched her cheek ever so gentle to help calm her nerves. Her breathing was getting better but she was still in a shocking moment. I got up from my seat to lean over the table and lightly brushed my lips with hers. Lexi was scared to kiss me when I'm trying to help her relax but nothing seems to be working.

The bell rang and I walked around the table to stand next to her, holding her hand, and walked her to class. I know she's probably uncomfortable with me but hopefully when this weekend comes, she will feel better and tell me that she loves me, too.